What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

Looks fantastic Jeff, there's one thing missing though..........a 36cm German projectile!!

Good Morning Subs,
I must say that you have certainly have made a most versatile collection of some pretty rare pieces. The Assemetrical nose mine is the Mk. 39 Mod 0 magnetic induction mine, U.S., and use4s an M11 magnetic firing mechanism. The mine uses a search coil induction principle. Yes, made to drop through the ice packs.
Subs, to you photograph and catalog each piece for rapid location in such a large display? Well done and next to the EOD school collection, yhours is probably the finest.
All the Best,
John aka Bart

John, thanks for the kind words and the info on the mine. I had it identified at one time, but forgot what it was off the top of my head.

I used to have everything photographed, the last year or two I've had other priorities and the photos have fallen behind. Another project to catch up on.

There is another US BOCN member whose collection is larger than mine, but we all specialize in our own ways and have specific areas where we excell. I'm content with second place - for now.

Pete, as you may recall, if I had thought I had a better chance of the 38cm making it through Customs it would be here. As it was, it was a long month waiting for clearance on the other pieces. No regrets, over the years I've had chances at a number of special pieces that never quite made it home. I'll concentrate on the ones that made it and the next ones down the road.

Only one word to say "OUTSTANDING !!!"

Have enjoyed this thread and watching the progress you have made....and now the final results of your hard labour. Well done Jeff and may I be the first to wish you all the very best on your open days.

kindest regards Kev

First of all, thanks for the info about the mine. I have never even seen i in any publication. Next, congrats on getting everything organized shelved, and the building completed! I know it was a monumental effort and you have done it in record time. Just wish I lived much closer. Looking forward to seeing the Weteye inside along with all the other stragglers.

I just returned from the 1,940 mile trip to attend the grand opening of the BOMBATORIUM. I would like to extend a special THANK YOU to Jeff and his family for opening the collection to viewing and for being such gracious hosts. The pictures hardly do it justice. The level of organization, presentation, and neatness of the collection is outstanding. THANKS AGAIN! Pat

While not as far away as the above poster (only 2 1/2 hour drive, each way) I would also like to thank Jeff for inviting me to his open house (and thank him again for the private tour 2 weeks previously). While I went into information overload, my wife went straight into awe and amazement.
Even though I'm primarily a SAA guy, I do have a few larger pieces, but nothing that even approaches what is on display at the Bombatorium

Had a very good day today, picked up about 30 pieces for the collection, covering WWI to present, some very nice stuff. Some I have no documents on (experimental small arms) and will eventually need someone to steer me in the right direction.

Rick, I only picked up one 40mm, any thoughts? Markings are upside down, projo is punch-crimped into case, markings are XM65?E3. Case is dated 12-67.

DSCN2616.jpgDSCN2618.jpgDSCN2619.jpgDSCN2624.jpg

DSCN2627.jpgDSCN2628.jpg

Nice batch!!! Especially the 28/20 HE.

Hey Jeff,why is the chem mortar fuze sitting so flat?

Had a very good day today, picked up about 30 pieces for the collection, covering WWI to present, some very nice stuff. Some I have no documents on (experimental small arms) and will eventually need someone to steer me in the right direction.

Rick, I only picked up one 40mm, any thoughts? Markings are upside down, projo is punch-crimped into case, markings are XM65?E3. Case is dated 12-67.

View attachment 61847View attachment 61848View attachment 61849View attachment 61850

View attachment 61851View attachment 61852

Really nice stuff Jeff, the projectile in the 25 x 145 is wrong I think, see blue one on the attached link, there is also an apfsds version, what is the marking on the base, it should say what sort
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/22880-25x145-rounds-plus-plastic-links.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/77225-25mm-AAI-Rounds
The 30mm AMCAWS CTA are unusual in that the case is reverse tapered (the projectile end of the case is larger diameter than the base of the case) http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/30897-30-x-165-amcaws-cta?highlight=AMCAWS
Dave.

Last edited:

View attachment 61851View attachment 61852

Jeff,

A really nice and diverse group of new goodies.

I think the 40mm is one of a couple different experimental rounds that competed in the development of the tactical CS cartridge. The XM651E1 was the successful version that got adopted. I have a similar one here but has a round filler or exit hole in the top and 8 short crimps to hold the ogive on, rather than the longer crimps on your cartridge. Mine is just stuck in a standard M118 case but should have the notched rim case varient. Pretty sure I have another just about identical to yours but it's down in the shop. Will look later.

Rick

Thanks Dave, it's not too surprising. I got the pieces from an older gentleman that had been given them years before. Neither he nor the person he got them from had any technical experience. I noted a number of incorrect fuzes, projos etc - but I wasn't going to turn down the opportunity to puchase them. He gave me a great deal, wanting to see them go to a good home rather than broken up for a quick profit. Here's a few more items that made it in yesterday.

DSCN2614.jpgDSCN2620.jpgDSCN2622.jpgDSCN2625.jpg

I have a question: All the 60mm USA mortars have or not the small clips for additional powder sacs? I ask it because your yellow mortar hasnt them and have seen here in Europe with them and without.

Thanks Dave, it's not too surprising. I got the pieces from an older gentleman that had been given them years before. Neither he nor the person he got them from had any technical experience. I noted a number of incorrect fuzes, projos etc - but I wasn't going to turn down the opportunity to puchase them. He gave me a great deal, wanting to see them go to a good home rather than broken up for a quick profit. Here's a few more items that made it in yesterday.

View attachment 61886View attachment 61887View attachment 61888View attachment 61889

Its a great selection of rare items Jeff, I wish there were more "older gentlemen" with militaria collections who wanted their collections to go to a good home.
Dave.

Jeff,

A really nice and diverse group of new goodies.

I think the 40mm is one of a couple different experimental rounds that competed in the development of the tactical CS cartridge. The XM651E1 was the successful version that got adopted. I have a similar one here but has a round filler or exit hole in the top and 8 short crimps to hold the ogive on, rather than the longer crimps on your cartridge. Mine is just stuck in a standard M118 case but should have the notched rim case varient. Pretty sure I have another just about identical to yours but it's down in the shop. Will look later.

Rick

Thanks Rick, the first thought on seeing it was that someone had stuck a 651 projo in upside down. A closer look of course showed the differences. I wasn't sure about the nomenclature though, as the "1" didn't really match the rest and didn't appear smeared.

Grenademan, I do not know for sure, but I would expect so. They are shown in several of the reference documents, but mine are all shown as I received them. Normally as time allows I will clean a bit and oil, but the only other thing that I will change is possibly the fuze or something that someone has done to "make is better". You can trust that what you see on my pieces is how I got it, not how I wish it was.

Dave and Lou, both the cases and the fuze are normal - quick photos and a shift in perspective make them appear slightly different. The archive photos were given more care and are clear.

Jeff the AMCAWS CTA should be reverse tapered, that's what I meant about it being unusual. Try measuring it. If its not reverse tapered then it really is an unusual one:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Dave.

I would need to know it because I have some mortars with and without and I would like to know it for sure.

I'm afraid I haven't had much luck. Most of the WWII manuals - general ammunition, ammunition inspection manual etc. barely mention the 60mm. The earliest document I have on the 60mm specifically is FM 23-85, 60-mm Mortar, M19 dated 1967 - It has very little to say on the subject.

I'm sure that they must have secured the propellant in some way, but I never was too worried about it and didn't pay that much attention to it. The ones we normally dealt with were fired, who cared how they attached the propellant? Sorry - I've attached a scan of the page out of the FM mentioned above.

Untitled-1.jpg

Yes, but from the collectors point of view I think it is important for to know if the mortar you have in your collection is 100% complet or has missing some part.