What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

WOW, you have one fantastic collection there Jeff!!!

How much more is there to unpack??

Kind regards
Kev

Still got some more rockets, then the small bombs/WWI etc. and after all is over I will move to the grenades, hand and rifle.

The collection is near overwhelming to a mere amasser. A Woodin Labbish level collection. Puts me in the "I'm not worthy!" mode. Almost as awed by the display cabinetry.

Jeff
Are you the woodworker, display builder, as well? Nice stuff.

Rick

And just wondering what the record thread view count is. I noticed the "BOMBATORIUM" is approaching 4700 views.

Last edited:
Rick

And just wondering what the record thread view count is. I just noticed the "BOMBATORIUM" is approaching 4700 views.

Well spotted Rick.

I'm not sure how Threads receive the five star rating (maybe I ought to take more time to read the FAQ)......However, on my own interest alone, and judging by the number of hits by others, I would like to recommend this post for a 5 star rating. It has been fascinating to follow the progress of this project, I'm sure other members would agree.

I would also just like to say a big thankyou to Jeff for taking the time and trouble not only to post the pictures, but to reply to posts on this thread. The close up shots of the variety of items you have is amazing and I take my hat off to you !!

kind regards Kev

I now know there is a heaven!
What a fantastic collection. Have you got some nice grenades to show us?
Cheers, Paul.
5 stars added!!

Grenades will be a while yet, still mulling over how to display and where. I've lost a few in the past, and would like to display in a manner that gives access and visibility, while security is maintained. Cases cost too much and take too much space, so I am leaning towards open display, but in a more secure part of the building, with video coverage.

While most of my grenades are not nearly the quality of the museum pieces we've seen from many of our members, I've got a pretty reasonable selection. I've got around 400+ hand grenades, with maybe another 100-150 rifle grenades. We figure offhand about 230 feet (71m) of shelf space will be needed, more if we plan for new items to be added. Still lots of work to be done.

400+ Hand Grenades and 100-150 Rifle Grenades.... you are very humble I think. I cant wait for see what you have, please hurry up!!!!

After a long and hard three day weekend, we have shelves built and the bulk of the grenades up and on them. Most pieces have not seen the light of day in nearly 15 years, all are in dire need of cleaning and oiling.

Priority was getting stuff on the shelves. I'm sure some are in the wrong areas, but that will come. We are still pulling grenades out of miscellaneous boxes, trying to find missing pieces that don't seem to be where they belong, etc. I've also left out some of the most fragile pieces, and haven't yet decided where to put rodded grenades.

I've got about 20 or so that are not identified, I'll post them in the coming weeks with requests for assistance.

Attachments

• DSCN1813.jpg
    DSCN1813.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 391
  • DSCN1810.jpg
    DSCN1810.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 418
  • DSCN1811.jpg
    DSCN1811.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 411
  • DSCN1812.jpg
    DSCN1812.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 406
  • DSCN1814.jpg
    DSCN1814.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 405
Wow!!! I dont even collect grenades and I feel like a kid in a sweet shop, even just looking at the photos!!

I congratulate you on your extremely fine collection.

It must be nice to be able to see these after so long under wraps.

regards Kev

And mine fits on two -

- shelves in what was the Pantry in a room maybe 6' x6' ~

I know there is a 37mm shelf in all this - I can smell it :tinysmile_shy_t:

Yes Heaven is here before us !

Time to finish the thread up and put it to bed. The Bombatorium is about as finished as it will ever be, realizing that there are always little things - new shelves to be built, new bombs to be drug-in etc. Here are the final pictures I will post. You will have to take my word for it, they do not do it justice. For those who would like to see more, please take note of the flyer at the end of the photos. We will be hosting an open house for collectors and law enforcement, all are welcome. Please feel free to show up and take your own photos (ordnance donations welcome!).

Here is the first group:

DSCN2201.jpg DSCN2180.jpg DSCN2188.jpg DSCN2181.jpg DSCN2189.jpg DSCN2183.jpg DSCN2184.jpg DSCN2182.jpg DSCN2189.jpgDSCN2186.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2180.jpg
    DSCN2180.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCN2201.jpg
    DSCN2201.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 377
  • DSCN2181.jpg
    DSCN2181.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 215
Hello Jeff,

Thank you for sharing your photographs with the group and allowing us to see your MAGNIFICENT ordnance collection so nicely displayed. You can certainly be proud of all the hard work and long hours putting everything together.

Best regards,

Randall

Very nice. Good to see it finally all set up. What is the 2000 L.B. size bomb item with the strange shaped ogive? Do you worry about the sunlight fading the paint on the items upstairs?

Last edited:
The big piece is actually an air dropped sea mine, I forget the model at the moment (Navy stuff). I was told that the off-set ogive gives a twisting action on impact, allowing the mine to break through ice. I found it in a scrapyard where were were working in Fontana, California. The owner had bought over 5000 tons of ordnance scrap from the Govt. Unfortunately one of the civilian companies hadn't done their job and a number of live pieces snuck through (1 dead scrap worker). We pulled over 100 more live pieces out over the course of a year's work. The Owner sold me 1 ton of scrap on paper, allowing me to take whatever I wanted out. At the time I took very little big stuff, I had no place to put it. We always remember the ones that got away....

As far as the light upstairs, the skylights are UV shielded and have a heavy tint, I'm told that this should be sufficient. Beyond that I don't know. I wanted as much natural light as possible. The natural light hits one side of the bookshelves, everything else has a northern exposure and is under no threat.

Good Morning Subs,
I must say that you have certainly have made a most versatile collection of some pretty rare pieces.
The Assemetrical nose mine is the Mk. 39 Mod 0 magnetic induction mine, U.S., and use4s an M11 magnetic firing mechanism. The mine uses a search coil induction principle. Yes, made to drop through the ice packs.
Subs, to you photograph and catalog each piece for rapid location in such a large display? Well done and next to the EOD school collection, yhours is probably the finest.
All the Best,
John aka Bart