What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

I have been very happy with the finds this summer, I hope the luck continues. These items picked up today.

DSCN6473.jpgDSCN6474.jpgDSCN6479.jpgDSCN6475.jpgDSCN6476.jpgDSCN6477.jpg

Not bad for someone who doesn't collect!.
Imagine what your 'Collection' would be like if you were collecting seriously..;)

Some new additions. I was able to pick up a nice selection of commercial avalanche control rounds. There are many obvious problems with continued used of military systems for avalanche control, training, safety, accountability, dwindling supply of ammunition etc. Experiments with commercial systems started in the 1960s and are generally done by small companies that sell their systems to forestry types responsible for various areas. Nearly all are pneumatic, and their development has been predictably problematic with documented accidents and some deaths due to fuze and arming issues. The last article I read identified that there are currently (2006) three manufacturers in the world, with about 400 operational systems. The three left are US, Canadian and French. In the photos most of the pieces are US manufacture , with one UK/Swiss, one New Zealand and one French (2 meters long).

I also found a couple of nice Japanese pieces, a 47 HE, a 37 and a clean Type 99 grenade. Enjoy.

DSC_1458a.jpgDSC_1453.JPGDSC_1454.jpgDSC_1455.JPGDSC_1456.JPGDSC_1457.JPGDSC_1458.JPGDSC_1462.JPG DSC_1459.JPGDSC_1460.JPGDSC_1461.jpg

I have a couple of Avalanche projectiles. One similar to one of yours and one different. The 37mm Jap round is an experimental aircraft round. They were found by a New York Nation Guard Unit in occupied Japan. One box of cases and one box of projectiles. They all came back to New York and got spread out from there.

Some new additions. I was able to pick up a nice selection of commercial avalanche control rounds. There are many obvious problems with continued used of military systems for avalanche control, training, safety, accountability, dwindling supply of ammunition etc. Experiments with commercial systems started in the 1960s and are generally done by small companies that sell their systems to forestry types responsible for various areas. Nearly all are pneumatic, and their development has been predictably problematic with documented accidents and some deaths due to fuze and arming issues. The last article I read identified that there are currently (2006) three manufacturers in the world, with about 400 operational systems. The three left are US, Canadian and French. In the photos most of the pieces are US manufacture , with one UK/Swiss, one New Zealand and one French (2 meters long).

I also found a couple of nice Japanese pieces, a 47 HE, a 37 and a clean Type 99 grenade. Enjoy.

View attachment 124772View attachment 124765View attachment 124766View attachment 124767View attachment 124768View attachment 124769View attachment 124770View attachment 124771 View attachment 124773View attachment 124774View attachment 124775

Nice items, thanks for showing them.

I just got back from a 3 week break in Canada. Whilst walking on the Parker Ridge I came across this sign.

Dave.

IMG_0988.jpg

Picked up some nice pieces this weekend, more to follow as I get things sorted in a couple of hours. Here is a teaser pic.

IMG_1117.jpg

Some background -
about one week ago I was contacted in regard to the family of a US EOD man who died nearly four years ago. By all accounts he was a true EOD Tech in every sense of the word, and his family remains very proud of he EOD accomplishments and reputation. As with many techs, he had a collection of pieces that he had accumulated over the years that he was very proud of. Some years after his death it became necessary to sell the family home and move on. As part of this they needed to dispose of his EOD memorabilia, and they wanted it to go to a good home where it would be preserved and not sold off. Before I knew it, I had been recommended by one EOD Tech and confirmed by another - both BOCN members. My thanks to each.

There were a couple of problems. The first was that all of the items had to be removed by the end of this month. With my current work schedule that left only this current weekend, I had less than a week to plan and prepare. The second, the centerpiece of his collection was an M56 4000lb bomb. Complicating this was the fact that this collection was more than 800 miles (1280km) from the Bombatorium.

Long story short, it was a very difficult movement involving lots of sweat, a little blood, vehicle breakdown and some good old fashioned credit card debt, but we made it back without serious injury. The sorting has begun and there are some great tools, manuals, slides, and of course ordnance. I hope that we can live up to the families expectations.

I have not started the ID process, but there are several of the small tools etc that I will have some problems with, mostly in the last 7

photos or so. The studded projo looks a little like an Armstrong, but I'm not sure. It is a touch over 8" in diameter. I'm also not sure if I have a ref on the torpedo fuze - anyone?

Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_1095.jpgIMG_1099.jpgIMG_1102.jpgIMG_1109.jpgIMG_1110.jpgIMG_1111.jpgIMG_1112.jpgIMG_1113.jpgIMG_1114.jpgIMG_1115.jpgIMG_1116.jpgIMG_1118.jpgIMG_1119.jpgIMG_1122.jpgIMG_1123.jpgIMG_1124.jpgIMG_1127.jpgIMG_1128.jpgIMG_1129.jpgIMG_1130.jpgIMG_1131.jpgIMG_0026.jpg

About how much does the big bomb weigh? Sucks having to hire a tow truck. Bet the driver had second thoughts when he saw the trailer.

The M56 is a high capacity, so the ratio is way off on the HE side. Empty ends up at under 1100lbs, without the fins. Fins are about another 80 or so.

nice aditions jeff specily th 4000 Lb, when you run out of space you know where to bring it. Erik

Thanks for the offer Erik, I'll keep it in mind. Space is a constant issue, rearranging and making the most of what we have. We are slowly moving more and more to the ceiling, when we built the Bombatorium it was engineered to where we are supposed to be able to hand up to 500lbs from any single area. The largest items currently on the ceiling are dispensers, SUU-7 and SUU-30s, then a lot of the smaller bombs, 100lbs and less. I'll need to update the general photos soon.

We are also looking at making some of the other displays vertical, to save floor space. We have a MK 84 2000lb bomb due in soon, we are considering making a frame to place all of the MK series bombs in a near vertical position, like a staircase with the smallest at the top and the 84 at the bottom. As the cradle for the new bomb is too small and we need to have a new one made, we are also considering turning it on its tail and having a support made that would put the weight on the base to keep from crushing it.

We are also in the process of finishing the third floor space, which was previously attic type storage. We have insulated, placed lighting, installed heating/cooling, and now have walls and wallboard up, the painting is being done this week. It will be limited to lightweight items, but we are looking at moving police equipment, explosives and blasting materials, EOD tools etc up there and freeing up some space on the second floor. It will be a while as we still need a lot of shelving and cabinets and this expansion has kept me broke most of the summer.

jeff its better of in your collection and a now the problem with space in our showroom which is big we are getting already a bit short of space, the best erik

Jeff Marco and me can come over and pick things up for Eric. We can go the the draft house again and drink a few beers.
if you need any money to buy the house of the neighbours just let us now:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Thanks Chris, you guys are welcome anytime. Bring Erik along to carry the bags. I've sent you a PM when you get a chance.

A few more new arrivals, these came in a couple of weeks ago. Included are a GBU nose unit, a Little John warhead section, a French Matra warhead, a LUU-10 smoke marker, a small chlorine cylinder and a container full of practice ring airfoil teargas grenades (RAG).

DSC_1469.jpgDSC_1468.jpgDSC_1467.jpgDSC_1470.jpgDSC_1466.jpgDSC_1471.jpg

Picked this up today. I've never seen one before, best guess is 20-25lb. Noting the history of Federal Labs, I suspect 1930s experimental CW - anyone have any documentation?

IMG_1161.jpgIMG_1165.jpg

Torpedo fuze shown before. I just haven't had time to clean yet and get it taken care of. We've been working on an expansion area for police stuff and pyrotechnics, until that is done I'm behind in lots of other stuff. Starting to load shelves now, hope to have some pictures by the weekend. I'm out again next week for a conference, so I need to get a move on.