What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

Deleted double post. Or tried to...

Attachments

• Small Arms 1 Japan.jpg
    Small Arms 1 Japan.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Small Arms 2 German.jpg
    Small Arms 2 German.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Small Arms 3 German.jpg
    Small Arms 3 German.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Small Arms 4 US.jpg
    Small Arms 4 US.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Small Arms 6 US.jpg
    Small Arms 6 US.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Small Arms 7 US.jpg
    Small Arms 7 US.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Small Arms 8 US.jpg
    Small Arms 8 US.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Small Arms 9 US.jpg
    Small Arms 9 US.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Small Arms 10 Soviet.jpg
    Small Arms 10 Soviet.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Small Arms 12.jpg
    Small Arms 12.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 61
  • Small Arms 13.jpg
    Small Arms 13.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Small Arms 14.jpg
    Small Arms 14.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Small Arms 15.jpg
    Small Arms 15.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Small Arms 16.jpg
    Small Arms 16.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I really like the 175mm WP and the TOW-II is beautiful. Love the fireworks too!

A few questions: Is the 105mm M67 WWII HEAT projectile in the 105 tank case an actual round, test or service? What is the rusty tear-drop shaped item to the left of and above the HD gas mine? What is the black trapezoid-shaped object on the shelf with the pipe bombs?

Hello,

Nice display, thanks for sharing.

What is the desgination of the shell with silver head (I assume a 8in -203mm) ?

Regards

UNK.jpg

Sebastian, the shell you asked about is an 8 inch howitzer M650 Rocket-assisted HE round. The mid section is High-frag steel. It would use a spitback action from fuze, down to the booster/detonator at the top of the steel body. Normally, the aluminum ogive would be OD-green. It is rumored to be a spotter round for the rocket-assisted Nuke.

The bottom 10 inches is the motor section, and it screws onto the male threads of the frag body.

Last edited:
Very nice. Can you show a better pic of THVs?

Is that a 25mm gyrojet?

Folded ammo is an interesting concept.

A few questions: Is the 105mm M67 WWII HEAT projectile in the 105 tank case an actual round, test or service? What is the rusty tear-drop shaped item to the left of and above the HD gas mine? What is the black trapezoid-shaped object on the shelf with the pipe bombs?

The rusty teardrop shaped object is believed to be an Italian chemical bomb.

John,
not sure about the M67, that is the way I got it from a collector in MA. He had some very interesting pieces that I had not seen before, so I left the M67 as it was. Pete is correct on the Italian bomb, the hole is where they cut it and let the phosgene boil out. The trapezoid is a plastic block, which contains an actual pistol. It was used by the airlines as distributed by the FAA prior to 9-11 and the TSA. Fits in with some of the IED stuff. The pipe with the label and the plastic pvc tubes with the clock were also part of the FAA materials.

Hello,

And what is the designation of the practice 155mm ?

Regards

View attachment 128940

I don't know that it ever received a designation, there are no stamped markings. It was given to me from some folks at Ft. Sill, described as an experimental piece. It is marked as a 155mm SR (short-range). It has a heavy plastic plug in the base, which blows out once the projo leaves the tube and kills the ballistics of the projectile.

Sebastian, the shell you asked about is an 8 inch howitzer M650 Rocket-assisted HE round. The mid section is High-frag steel. It would use a spitback action from fuze, down to the booster/detonator at the top of the steel body. Normally, the aluminum ogive would be OD-green. It is rumored to be a spotter round for the rocket-assisted Nuke.

The bottom 10 inches is the motor section, and it screws onto the male threads of the frag body.

No rumor, we were always told that it was built specifically for that purpose and designed to be a ballistic match. I've never seen one in the field with the ogive painted.

Very nice. Can you show a better pic of THVs?

Is that a 25mm gyrojet?

Folded ammo is an interesting concept.

30mm gyrojet, MBA was trying to push it as a possible flare round.

Small Arms 26.jpgSoviet.jpg22 box  1.jpg22 box  2.jpg22 box  3.jpg22 box  4.jpg22 box  5.jpg22 box  6.jpg22 box  7.jpg22 box  8.jpg22 box  9.jpg22 box  10.jpg22 box  11.jpgTank.jpg

Attachments

• Soviet.jpg
    Soviet.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 22 box  1.jpg
    22 box 1.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I've been anxiously awaiting for you to post pics the large bore APFSDS Tank specimens in the collection! YAY! You have some amazing examples.

Jason

30mm gyrojet, MBA was trying to push it as a possible flare round.

Nice collection!!!
Do you have a reference for the 30mm being used as a flare?
I have seen 25mm flares but understand there were only a few 30mm made and most were dummy.
Do you have the spear gun/gyrojet projectile? LOL It appears you have almost everything.:top:

I'll have to check Mel Carpenter's book on MBA and their gyrojets, etc. I got the item from Mel when he dissolved his collection.

This is it for now. The holidays are over and its just about time to go back to work. This provides a decent overview of the collection, in general shots at least. There are many more pieces scattered around, but most have been shown as they came in, in this and other threads. Enjoy -

Subs 1.jpgSubs 2.jpgSubs 3.jpgSubs 4.jpgSubs 5.jpgSubs 6.jpgSubs 7.jpgTools 1.jpgTools 2.jpgTools 3.jpgVietnam.jpgWWI mix.jpgWWI US.jpgWWII US - mix 1.jpgWWII US 1.jpg

Attachments

• WWI mix.jpg
    WWI mix.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 89
  • WWI US.jpg
    WWI US.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 87
  • WWII US - mix 1.jpg
    WWII US - mix 1.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 84
  • WWII US 1.jpg
    WWII US 1.jpg