What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ww1 German gas shell

Thanks Dickaren,Danno good pics!anyone like to add to our chemical arsenal??
18pounder

More for the chemical arsenal

18Pdr,

Here's a few more to add.
65lb light cased aircraft bomb.jpg

Nav Photos0003.jpg

4.5 in Shell  no tag03.jpg

65lb Light cased aircraft bomb - UK - This was mustard filled, didn't contain any explosive charges and just burst open on impact with the ground.

4.2" Mortar - UK - Mustard fill, hex nut visible on the tail, very strong indication of either CW or Phos fill, 152 DA fuze.

4.5" Shell - UK - Mustard fill (This particular projo), side filler plug not visible, 106 DA fuze.

Chemical container bomb (clock!)

Peteblite
at first glance I thought it was a carridge clock!!
Very unusual design,I supose it didnt need to be 'bomb shaped'to do its job-never seen one before.

65lb LCAB in carriage.jpg

image008.jpg

Here's a bit of info on the 65lb ACB.
If these things are ever recovered they tend to be completly rusted out due to their light weight construction.

It looks very nice! It is refreshing to see a 77mm that isn't already fired.

Thanks. I will post some more pics in the next days.

Btw. I am seaching for a more or less good german HZ05 (Haubitzznder 05) for 10,5 cm shrapnels.

Here the long 7,7 cm shell with EKZ16 somewere on the battlefield of Verdun in France. Never touch anything like this!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 100
Here the long 7,7 cm shell with EKZ16 somewere on the battlefield of Verdun in France. Never touch anything like this!!!

quite rare to see this fuze not rusted to mush..

keep em coming

ive PM'ED you

18pounder

Pretty much, that is the short bottle for the K. Gr. 16, this would be the same bottle diameter, but a little longer. I think the bottle sizes were shown in an earlier thread.

Attachments

• 7.7cm gas.jpg
    7.7cm gas.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 129
Good picture!
I think there was only one bottle size for the 77 mm bluecross and the remaining space in the shell was filled with cast FP02 to destroy the bottle and disperse the filling of it.

I'll see if I can dig up some photos and I am able to get back on the internet tomorrow -

Here are the two sizes of bottle for 7.7cm. The purpose of the bottle was to cool the heat of the explosion, so that the agent was not completely destroyed. The Germans fired more than 13,000,000 blue cross projectiles during the war, making it by far the most use CW of the war. The idea was that the small molecule would act as a mask breaker, the sneezing/vomiting effect of the agent then forcing the soldiers to remove their masks, then lethal gases would follow. In truth, it was rarely effective or noticed at all. the Allies considered it worthless, but Germany persisted. It is still the most commonly recoverd old chemical weapon in France and Belgium today.

Attachments

• 7.7 small bottle.jpg
    7.7 small bottle.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 7.7 large bottle.jpg
    7.7 large bottle.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 57
  • GE1-6.jpg
    GE1-6.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 68
  • GE1-4.jpg
    GE1-4.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 86
Thanks for posting the photos US-Subs.
What is the scale on the left hand bottle, I can't work out how long it is compared to the other.
Ta,
Dave.

Just worked it out from the RIGHT hand photo.

About 15cm long.

Ta,

Dave.