What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenades to be auctioned

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I've been asked to assist in the preparation of approximately one hundred grenades scheduled to be auctioned off this Spring, sometime in the April-June timeframe. I've just returned from a quick trip to take some ID snapshots of the items, driving back 600 miles through the heart of the worst storm so far this year. These grenades were part of the collection of a deceased collector, some his own WWII recoveries in Burma, others items that he found/purchased/was given through the years. Some of the items are common, a couple trash. A number however are quite rare, and some are experimentals I've not seen before. With members consent and support I would like to post some of the pieces here, in order to obtain the most accurate identification possible. This will obviously give better exposure for the auction house, but at the same time this will give members an opportunity in advance of the auction to both view some rare items and to gain additional information on items that they may be interested in attempting to purchase. I'm having difficulty accessing the forum rules, but would like to make sure I am not in violation of any by doing this. I have already been compensated for my travel and work in regard to examining the items and purging some pieces, I am not involved in the auction process and will make nothing from it. I need to finalize descriptions of the items, but it is a broad area and I could use assistance from our many members in identifying some of the lesser known or variant pieces. Can anyone please confirm that I will not be at odds with forum rules in doing this? Thanks.

IMG_0670b.jpg

Lacking any response I'll assume there is no major objection and proceed.
I thought that the body on this grenade was reminiscent of some Belgian submunitions, but the marking on the head looks like a Swiss cross beside a 6M. Anyone?

DSC_8434.jpgDSC_8435.jpgDSC_8436.jpgDSC_8437.jpg

Next is a small grenade with a body that looks familiar but I cannot place it. It has the Polish/French fuze, but that only limits it to a dozen countries or so. No markings.

DSC_8350.jpg

A couple with Serbian/Yugoslav (?) fuzes, the one body is very similar to the French 1916 Suffocante.

DSC_8410.jpgDSC_8411.jpgDSC_8413.jpgDSC_8414.jpg

Look at the pictures! I hope you continue to help. The pictures are from the book -TIE ZÜNDER DER SCHWEIZER ARMEE 1848-2000. This book is also for sale. Who is interested please PN.

Attachments

• Scan_20190123 (2).jpg
    Scan_20190123 (2).jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Scan_20190123.jpg
    Scan_20190123.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 94
Look at the pictures! I hope you continue to help. The pictures are from the book -TIE ZÜNDER DER SCHWEIZER ARMEE 1848-2000. This book is also for sale. Who is interested please PN.

Thanks, based on the diagram I would identify this as a slight color variation to the Blinde, or practice?

It is a Bulgarian design used mainly by the Turks in WW1 . There many variations some without the ring lug on the side & some much cruder variations locally made of a strange alloy . Siegfreid .

Used by the Turks at Gallipoli and in Palestine, and known to the Allied forces as Tufenjieff (or Tufenkjieff) spherical hand grenade.

Attachments

• Tufenkjieff_2.jpg
    Tufenkjieff_2.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Tufenkjieff_1.jpg
    Tufenkjieff_1.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 41
I think they were known as a Makedonia grenade. If you look at the brass holder under the closing plug, it may have TH engraved in script. Initials for Naum Tjufekchiev.

Many thanks for the help so far. Here is a curious one, looks like an Arges fuze, but the plastic patterning is different and I've never seen a blue Arges. Hand written on the bottom is "Peru". Only markings are the 26 on the fuze. Thoughts?

DSC_8335.jpgDSC_8336.jpgDSC_8337.jpgDSC_8338.jpg

Good call, it does have a lot of similarity to that as well as some versions of the Arges. I suppose many of the plastic fuzes could be copies of each other, making it hard to tell. Apparently no one recognized the body though - ?

Lets try Spanish. I have little documentation on the PO series, and searching on the forum I can find the PO-1 and the PO-3, but not clear identification on the differences between the two. I have a short version, which I believe is the PO-1, a longer version which I was originally thinking was the PO-3, and a second, perhaps earlier (?) also long green variant which has inked markings that appear to be LOS PO-1, but raised plastic letters HGR DT-21. Export? Looking for confirmed identification on all three.

DSC_8371.jpgDSC_8367.jpgDSC_8363.jpgDSC_8365.jpgDSC_8364.jpg

Hi Snufkin,
what is this publication from which you take the above 2 scans. I like the description very much and for shure would like to read more of the same.
Regards,
Bellifortis.
Used by the Turks at Gallipoli and in Palestine, and known to the Allied forces as Tufenjieff (or Tufenkjieff) spherical hand grenade.

I'm not sure about the shorter version, but, according to Jane's Infantry Weapons 1976, the PO 1, 2 and 3 were all made by Plasticas Oramile of San Sebastián, Spain. Model PO 3 is the Model 1 with an 18mm metal fragmentation coil. The height including the cap is shown as 105 mm. Model PO 2 had a metal body.

The green version is the export model for troop trials in West Germany. This one is relatively rare!

Cheers,

Gary

Lets try Spanish. I have little documentation on the PO series, and searching on the forum I can find the PO-1 and the PO-3, but not clear identification on the differences between the two. I have a short version, which I believe is the PO-1, a longer version which I was originally thinking was the PO-3, and a second, perhaps earlier (?) also long green variant which has inked markings that appear to be LOS PO-1, but raised plastic letters HGR DT-21. Export? Looking for confirmed identification on all three.

View attachment 150019View attachment 150020View attachment 150021View attachment 150022View attachment 150023

While I'm getting more photos prepared here are some miscellaneous pieces included in the sale that might have your interest.

DSC_8348.jpgDSC_8373.jpgDSC_8569.jpgDSC_8570.jpg28  Dutch Eihandgranaat No.3  a.jpgNo. 34 MKIII.jpg