What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Museum Ordnance Photos

Is that black composite case (steel-alum) really a 60mm? Is a case length known?

Is that capped AP a 25pdr?

The 6inch drill is a US navy one?

Hallo,
is there a photo of the AZ23/28Zn fuze with year of manufacture and/or base of the fuze?
Thanks, Bob

Is that black composite case (steel-alum) really a 60mm? Is a case length known?

Is that capped AP a 25pdr?

The 6inch drill is a US navy one?

Case data says 110x616mm, on projo it says No. 873 25lb (their printing), but identifies it as 151mm x 475mm

For the drill, that would be my guess

Does anyone know anything about the mortar and AZ fuze shown on 2 Feb?

Case data says 110x616mm, on projo it says No. 873 25lb (their printing), but identifies it as 151mm x 475mm

For the drill, that would be my guess

25pdr should be like 89mm, so the 151mm (could be 6 inch and should be 152mm then). As per the design (cap) it looks US naval and should not be a 25pdr then.
110x616 sounds now more like the case length of the 105mm for the tank gun. It got mixed up?

Anybody into the subject can tell?

Hi UK-SUBS
I hope this will help you, AZ 41 for german 12 cm mortar....
Best regards
WGR AZ 41.jpgWGR AZ 41a.jpg

25pdr should be like 89mm, so the 151mm (could be 6 inch and should be 152mm then). As per the design (cap) it looks US naval and should not be a 25pdr then.
110x616 sounds now more like the case length of the 105mm for the tank gun. It got mixed up?

Anybody into the subject can tell?

I don't know about the projo, I am only identifying what is listed, I agree with you on the sizes. In regard to the case, I know that the US played with a 110mm howitzer, I had one years ago and traded it off. I believe I there may be some better identified cases coming up. It is only mentioned on one historic document that I have, which discusses the US going to a 110mm, 156mm and 175mm as standard artillery.

Hi UK-SUBS
I hope this will help you, AZ 41 for german 12 cm mortar....
Best regards

Thanks for the info. I was not sure about the mortar, it looks a little different than my 12cm, and the construction is very rough for German manufacture - must be late war? I have never seen an actual fuze, though I admit I have seen few of the mortars. How hard is it to find a decent fuze?

I don't know if I would want to be anywhere near the mortar when they fire that dragline shell.

A lot of people don't realize the potential hazard. I responded to a 60mm one time that had blooped out of the tube and timbled into a nearby rice paddy. Two soldiers had been fragged by pieces of the tail that had shattered when fired. No HE detonation involved, just the ignition charge and propellant. Still not sure how the fin fragments got enough velocity, they should have been behind the seal and not subject to as much "push", but blood don't lie.