What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Museum Ordnance Photos

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I'll try and get back to posting some of the several thousand photos I have been given access to. I did not take the photos, I cannot identify the museums (several). Any info will be on the photo tag, you will probably know as much as I do or more. I've got plenty of pictures to play with, I'll keep posting each day or so till I get too busy. All are actual items. Enjoy. 75mm a.jpg75mm b.jpg88mm a.jpg88mm b.jpga1.jpga5.jpga6.jpga7.jpg

Hi,
thanks for showing.
in the 2nd post, 2nd an 3rd pics ww1 italian anti aircraft incendiary shrapnel for 75mm mod 1906 and 1911 gun.

Posting #4 the brass fuze to the left:
It is a French Schneider design for the navy. The adopted version is the "Mle1925 S".
This one here has some small differences in the internal construction. Maybe it is experimental or just another adopted version whe have no docs about.

The next 3 photos appear to be an Argentinian 75mm Recoilless HEAT projo. It is interesting that it has the color code markings (white band with red dots) of a U.S. Navy projectile with red tracer.

Posting #4 the brass fuze to the left:
It is a French Schneider design for the navy. The adopted version is the "Mle1925 S".
This one here has some small differences in the internal construction. Maybe it is experimental or just another adopted version whe have no docs about.

Could it be a licensed copy made by the US? We took many other French designs at that time - maybe an adaptation.

I had the impression that the adopted French material was mainkly for land forces. Where there shortages in navy armament too? Also this one is quite after the war where the US would not have needed French designs and own ones were avialble already or?

The 75mm looks like a German design, PD spitback nose fuze with base detonator and a long cavity liner. Maybe some German Ordnance workers got jobs in Argentina?

Last edited:
I had the impression that the adopted French material was mainkly for land forces. Where there shortages in navy armament too? Also this one is quite after the war where the US would not have needed French designs and own ones were avialble already or?

I don't know, I never followed that period's fuze development that closely. I've seen a few US fuzes that were externally similar, but don't even know for certain the timeframe. Shelldude, where are you?

Just a guess could the fuze have been for the U.S. Coastal Artillery Corps use, they had Schneider guns in service as seen in the pictures below. Pictures are from the U.S. Library of Congress photo collection of the Bain News Service circa 1914.

Brian

Attachments

• Schneider 1.jpg
    Schneider 1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Schneider 2.jpg
    Schneider 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 112
The 75mm looks like a German design, PD spitback nose fuze with base detonator and a long cavity liner. Maybe some German Ordnance workers got jobs in Argentina?

Or Bofors... And Bofors had indeed some german Ex-Krupp workers employed after 1st WW. Bofors continued to produce products which Krupp could not longer produce because the Treaty of Versailles.

The grenade in the last group of photos is the Lancaster type 1 percussion grenade. I have attached some information that might be of interest.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 83
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Lancaster%20No_1%20Grenade.jpg
    Lancaster%20No_1%20Grenade.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Lancaster%20No_2%20Grenade.jpg
    Lancaster%20No_2%20Grenade.jpg