What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15 Pounder Grapnel projectile

The Russians did some similar rounds that were intended to be used against observation balloons. I've seen them with similar unfolding jaws and with cables that would unwrap from around the body. both have been previously posted on other threads.

The Russians did some similar rounds that were intended to be used against observation balloons. I've seen them with similar unfolding jaws and with cables that would unwrap from around the body. both have been previously posted on other threads.

seeking any info/reference for this oddity made in 1898View attachment 196375
There are two confirmed examples of this projectile in NZ.
Given the limited elevation and short range of this calibre I think it unlikely to be anti-balloon and more likely to be for attack on wire defences.
the outer projectile is the same as the shrapnel projectile and one might assume old shrapnel being emptied of shot and resin and reloaded with the inner contraption. Even though extant examples have outer shells dated in the 1890s it is postulated that the inner workings date from WWI.

With the generous support of Dronic69 the model has been modified to ensure it will fit inside a standard 15pr Shrapnel shell
Great job!
Thank you Sir for your persistence!
Can't wait to "test" it - you don't happen to have a 3D full size 15pdr gun I can borrow? :cool: