What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7 inch experimental

SG500

Premium Member
Attached is a photograph of a standard 3.7 inch anti aircraft shell next to an unusual case.

The standard 3.7 measures 94 X 675 with a base diameter of 135mm
The service mark 6 version measures 94 X 857 with a base diameter of 150mm.
The case on the right measures 94 X 820mm with a base diameter of 150mm.

The case is not cut down and has several very clear crimping marks in 2 rows.

It is clearly stamped with the following:

3.7" GUN
DD(L) 12288
LOT
ECC

Does anyone have any information on this case?

Dave.

Attachments

• Probert case 25 November 2007 001.jpg
    Probert case 25 November 2007 001.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Probert case 25 November 2007 002.jpg
    Probert case 25 November 2007 002.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Probert case 25 November 2007 003.jpg
    Probert case 25 November 2007 003.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 117
Thanks, yes could be indeed - does anyone have any information on these guns and their ammunition?

Dave.

Primer fixing ?

SG500 whilst you mention that the case has been fired, how come there are no threads in the rear for a screw in primer ???

Very nice Experimental case !

Hi Chris yes there are threads in the primer, it was the 17 pounder that was missing its threads. A good case though, I agree.
Dave.

Threaded !

Hi Chris yes there are threads in the primer, it was the 17 pounder that was missing its threads. A good case though, I agree.
Dave.
OK Dave thanks for that, it looks like your case has no thread from your picture, so it does and is it a standard thread ?

So, come on guys, surely someone out there has got something like this or has some drawings etc.? I've not managed to find out anything about it doing my own research and was counting on someone waving a magic wand and explaining what its all about.........please.........keen to get this one ID'd.
Thanks.
Dave.

New to the site so just as a suggestion as I've no evidence, but have you considered that this might be the case for the 32pdr anti-tank gun which was a 94mm calibre system as well?

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I wish it was.
The 32 pounder case was a different profile. It looked more like a very large 2 pounder AT.
If you look at the following link RichardB posted a photo of one that is in Bovington Tank Museum. Rich was a bit of a bad lad and wound some of us up into thinking it was in a junk shop but its actually at the tank museum and clearly stamped 32 pounder on its base.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/70483-Large-British-Round.
Dave.

Last edited: