What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue paint on No.222 fuze

Stuka

Hi there,

One of my No.222 fuzes has its top painted blue, please see the images attached.
Does anyone have a clue what this might mean?

2221.jpg 2222.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Thomas.

Normally the C.M.T. (corrected mean time) is marked with a 1/2 inch wide band around: (a) fuze cover 2 inch clear from base, (b) centre of cilinder No. 222F, (c) centre top and sides of outer package.

C.M.T. from 24.00 seconds to 24.49 seconds = red colour
C.M.T. from 24.50 seconds to 24.99 seconds = white colour
C.M.T. from 25.00 seconds to 25.49 seconds = blue colour
C.M.T. from 25.50 seconds to 26.00 seconds = red colour

I think I've found a few parts of some of the No 222 fuze on my favourite beach. I think the No 222 was no longer in service when I joined the army and we were not taught about obsolete ammo. Any idea what shell it was used with?

I think I've found a few parts of some of the No 222 fuze on my favourite beach. I think the No 222 was no longer in service when I joined the army and we were not taught about obsolete ammo. Any idea what shell it was used with?
Taken from my upcoming book:-

No. 222:

Q.F. 25-pr Gun, 3.7-inch How; HE

B.L. 4.5-inch Gun, 6-inch Gun, 6-inch How, 7.2-inch How, 8-inch How, 9.2-inch Gun; all HE

No. 222B:

B.L. 9.2-inch Gun; HE

Regards, Depotman