What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOCN Guess what it is

Thank you EOD. By the way, "Woodpecker" being an english name, is this the alias given by western intelligence or is it a translation of a russian name ?

If I would have written "Dyatel" almost noone here would have understood I assumed and translated it.
As I have no access to any intelligence docs - nor west, nor east (to my regret) I had to stick with the Russian nickname.

Hallo,
I just read a Wikipedia article on "Woodpecker", which is there described as a soviet long range, over the horizon, short wave radar system with a range of apparently 15000 km. Different versions, DUGA 1,2 and 3 were made. Are these radar systems fuze and aquisition radar in any way related ?

No, just way different departments using any nickname that came to their mind.
Already rather important things like factory codes were not centrally issued in the USSR (and were double issued) so we can not expect from the Russians that somebody sat in a small smelly office and ran lists and records on nicknames of weapon systems I would say.

Woodpecker was the western nickname for the radar since it sounded like a Woodpecker when it could be heard interfering on HF radio.

It is a fuze but not Japanese and it is only missing the safety cap
heres a bit more.
P1010225 (2).JPG

A sectioned 20mm cannon round projectile of some sort with a tungsten core and a tracer in a sectioned case lying on a rock?

Dave.