What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Design RL9000N ?

Ammodillo

Ordnance approved
Hi All, i am looking for drawings and information of Percussion Fuse Direct Action;

Design RL9000N. Introduced 10086 of 7/11/1899 for service in South Africa with Lyddite shell

Fuze No 4 RL9000N

Ammodillo,
A little bit of info although you may well have this. Alas no drawing as yet.

Fuze, Graze, No 4
Design RL9000N. Introduced 10086 of 7 /11/1899 for service in South Africa with Lyddite shell. Use discontinued, withdrawn, replaced by No 13 Mk 2 for practice and by No 1 Mk 2 for service. On 7/11/1900 a report from South Africa mentioned large numbers of blinds. Proof was unsatisfactory and the Ordnance Committee recommended re-design (OCMin 48985 of 1900) and on 17/3/1901 DGO requested the OC to proceed. On 21/4/1901 CSOF forwarded RL10810 for consideration. The Number 4 fuze was therefore declared obsolete by 10707 of 28 Aug 1901.
Although never officially re-introduced, numbers were taken from store and re-issued in 1914-15 in lieu of Fuze No 17. The Ordnance Board approved this on 12/12/1914. A considerable number of prematures in 4.7in and 60pr guns resulted, and on 20/3/1915 the DofA announced that no more would be used. On examination of the remaining fuzes several faults were found, attributable to hasty manufacture during the South African War. All were withdrawn early in 1915. See Ordnance Board Annual Report 1915 page 120.

Thanks Bonnex..
That was the info i based my question on (even the same source i believe).
I am pickung up an earlier thread on the No.4 Graze Fuze started by Doctor several months ago.

All info is welcome!

Last edited:
Fuze No 4 RL9000N

I thought so, it was from something that Ian Hogg did when he was at RMCS. I have just dug out the WOLC dated November 1899 which doesn't give any more info but may be of interest. It says:

10086 Fuze, graze, No 4 (MarkI) /L/ Metal

A drawing (RL9000N) of the above mentioned fuze has been sealed to govern manufacture for land service, for use with lyddie shell, as may be ordered.

The fuze is similar in external appearance to the "fuze, direct-action, No 3 Mark II" (para 5616) but is longer, has a solid head, and is not provided with a removable cap. It is fitted with a safety pin which is insertred vertically through the head, and which must be removed at the time of loading.

The fuzes can be screwed into the shell with "key, fuze, universal."

Weight of fuze 11oz

Bonnex wrote: "The fuze is similar in external appearance to the "fuze, direct-action, No 3 Mark II" (para 5616) but is longer, has a solid head, and is not provided with a removable cap."

Attached some extracted info on the No.3 Mark 4 [source: Brittish Treatise on Ammunition 19*] * should be 1915

Attachments

• No.3 Fuze Percussion DA-small bocn.jpg
    No.3 Fuze Percussion DA-small bocn.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 41
Bonnex wrote: ""The fuzes can be screwed into the shell with "key, fuze, universal."
Is this the one?

Attachments

• fuze setter uk ww1.jpg
    fuze setter uk ww1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 12
Fuze Key

fraid not, its more like a bicycle spanner.

N

Attachments

• Fuze key.jpg
    Fuze key.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 23
D.A. Percusson Fuze;

Arm,
This one is not the exact same one, but has to be its cousin.
Regards,
John

Last edited by a moderator: