What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Time Fuze

GregN

Hi all, another gift from the last gunshow, Any ideas as to the time frame? These seem to be fairly rare here in Canada, any ideas what it might be worth?

Greg

Attachments

• fuze1.jpg
    fuze1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 83
  • fuze2.jpg
    fuze2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 69
  • fuze3.jpg
    fuze3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 89
  • fuze4.jpg
    fuze4.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 68
Boxer Wooden Time Fuses;

Good Morning,
Very nice condition. Boxer fuses go back at least to the early 1860s as some weresold to a lot of countries including the U.S. No idea of price. The brass cap in the top indicates it has a setback fired percussion element to ignite the time fuse. Used withRML guns where there is little windage.
Best Regards,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning,
Very nice condition. Boxer fuses go back at least to the early 1860s as some weresold to a lot of countries including the U.S. No idea of price. The brass cap in the top indicates it has a setback fired percussion element to ignite the time fuse. Used withRML guns where there is little windage.
Best Regards,
John aka Bart

What are the illustrations that you are posting from? They seem modern.

Hi all, GREAT info on this fuze thank you to all for providing more info.

Cheers,

Greg

I was likely at that Gun Show

I should start paying more attention !

Attachments

• getfuzzyGriefc.jpg
    getfuzzyGriefc.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 19
What are the three markings just below the black band which covers the fuse burning gas exit port? looking from the sidethe lower appears to be "8" but can't make out the top ones.

Bart

Hi John, the red markings are: 8 over 82 in red and II over 24 in red on the other side.

Greg

Fuze Markings;

Greg,
Any idea of their meaning? 8/82 could be August 1882, but II/24 not computing.
Cheers,
Bart

Boxer Fuze;

Greg,
As promised below is my rendering of your Boxer fuze.
All the Best,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

Been a while since I posted and I`m sorry to revive such an old thread, but it seemed the most logical place to post it.
When I`m not in France, I spend my weekends up to my waist in smelly mud, seeking cannonballs, stud shells etc from Britains naval past. I go all over the country Portsmouth, Plymouth, Thames estuary etc etc. Why is it that all the places where coastal emplacements or naval bases are or were seem to be smelly mud flats!?
Any way..long story short, on a recent trip to Plymouth, I spotted what appeared to be a wooden cork in a hole left by bait diggers. On investigation it turned out to be a Baker time fuse, and very well preserved. After a little more digging around, I ended up with over 150 fuses of 5 different sizes. Many still have the original paint, which appears to be grey and on some red timing marks are still visible. Some still have the tinned cap in place. They range from heavy mortar fuses down to 9 sec (I think) timed shrapnel.
They are currently soaking in PEG, having been thoroughly flushed and cleaned for 2 weeks in fresh water.
Some of the larger ones are stamped with HM (heavy mortar) and what seems to be a date 7/87 (july 1887?) still outlined in red.
I have quite a few shells and hollow shot that would have been fused with these things, so Im hoping some one on here can post a few pics of this type of fuse in the grey paint. All the examples I have seen on here seem to be red and white, but all sizes of the ones I have found appear to be grey body, bare wood around the timing holes, with red filled timing marks. I have so many that I will restore the ones that I display in the shells. Even a scan of the round label that was pasted to the top of the caps will help.
As soon as they come out of the PEG I will get some detailed pics up. Along with the 2 Hales rockets found on the same day, currently sitting in electrolysis (no pun intended)

Andy