What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food related ordnance names

Hi Gus

How you been my friend? Got some catching up to do, will PM you tomorrow....Dano

Jam Tin Bomb
Blue Pigeon
Cordite pie

The "dough" that forms the basis for cordite and other propellants.
And I think I recall hearing about a "cake" or "loaf" of explosives.
"Pommegrenate", in Dutch this translates to "granaatappel", which, iff
literary translated into English would be "grenadeapple".
And nearly forgot about the "pepperpot", the nickname chosen for the all weapons (arty, mortars, rockets, machineguns, tripple A etc.) fire poured into the Reichswald at the start of the "veritable" offensive in Feb. 1945.

greetz,

Menno.

Last edited:
How you been my friend? Got some catching up to do, will PM you tomorrow....Dano

Jam Tin Bomb
Blue Pigeon
Cordite pie

Hey Dano,
I am still alive, I may have a nose plug for you M1913 German rifle grenade soon.
Best
Gus

Though not ordnance related, I would feel remiss if I did not miss "White Castle's" At least they feel as though they're being fired from an artillery piece!!!Dano
i.e. "gut bomb"

Last edited:
Just a few days ago I saw a pics off a huge WW 1 mortar/werfer in use with both Germans/Austrians as with the British/commonwealth. It used a few types of wooden based shells, one off which being referred to as "rum jar" iff I'm not mistaken.

How about the squash head round
or the beano grenade
The Beano grenade, how approipate and "high powered" as well as the M. cocktail, or any cocktail for that matter good one ordman..Best to you and yours...Dano

Last edited:
If you want to get caveman how about the alley apple
Was a common name for a rock or brick thrown at you during a riot.