What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Internal Clock

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Here is (LISTED) a Junghans MT clock for a WWI fuze.

Anyone know which fuze it might go into?

DIA: 44MM
Length: 39MM

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-55-2.JPG
    ICE-JV-55-2.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 80
  • ICE-JV-55-5.JPG
    ICE-JV-55-5.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 71
  • ICE-JV-55-6.JPG
    ICE-JV-55-6.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 76
  • ICE-JV-55-8.JPG
    ICE-JV-55-8.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 71
  • ICE-JV-55-3.JPG
    ICE-JV-55-3.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 66
Is this not the mechanism from a Zt. Z. S/30 Fgl (WWII)? as used in 8.8 cm ans 10.5 cm H.E. Anti-Aircraft. Operates by virtue of centrifugal force as opposed to a clock spring.

TimG

The small ring with the small teeth is unusual for Junghans clockworks used in german fuzes.

Alpini, please would you be so kind as to identify that item?

If it's not German, then it might be the Junghams mechanism from a British No. 214 fuze (a US manufactured No. 208 fuze utilising a Junghans mechanism instead of the normal Krupp-Thiel).

TimG

Last edited:
How look internal parts of a Tavaro-fuze? In my Finnish manuals are no pictures of internal parts.

Tavaro clockworks look much different and they use a spring as engine. This one here is like others mentioned a Junghans clockwork with centrifugal weight engine (invented during 1st WW).

@TimG: Sorry, but I don't have an idea about it's origin. I wonder if anyone has good diagrams of american M500 series of fuzes? They also use the Junghans clockworks.

And I am sure many countries had fuzes with Junghans clockworks as they had some big advantages compared to spring driven clockworks (and one disadvantage: they couldn't be used for guns with smooth barrels)

Last edited:
Alpini,

Reading a past post by Bonnex http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/88583-Fuze-Time-No-214 I was surprised to see in the report that the Junghans fuze saw service in WWI, do you know what fuze it was used in? The French book "Artillerie Allemande (Les Fusées) 1918, lists only three mechanical time fuzes the Dopp. Z. 8, Dopp. Z. 16 and the Dopp. Z. 28. 38. The first two using the Krupp-Thiel, the third has no listed mechanism.

My query above was in relation to "The small ring with the small teeth"

TimG

Thanks everyone ... interesting conversation. I never thought posting these pics would create such a discussion.

Joe

Hello Tim,

sorry, I misunderstood something... I'll attach a picture with the "small teeth part" which I mean. I have no idea what the english word for this part could be.

The Junghans clockwork was used in the fuze with the name "M.K.Z." (Mechanischer Kanonen Zünder) during WW1 (I think shortly before the war was over). It's pictured in the belgian "Les Fusees allemandes".

I neither held such a fuze in my hands nor have seen one which was dug up from the ground. I have seen only pictures which I think are from belgian and french EOD collections. Because of it's rarity and the lack of any documentation I think it was in a stadium of an early "troop trial" or the few ones in these collections were captured in Germany by foreign forces shortly after war. It would be nice, if someone knows more about this thematic.

Attachments

• Ice-jv-55-6[1].jpg
    Ice-jv-55-6[1].jpg
    70 KB · Views: 32