What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 33rd division Brodie helmet

The main reason for this post is that I have seen these helmets turn up occasionally on ebay incorrectly called a medic helmet. It is the insignia of the Illinois 33rd division (national guard). My first wifes grandfather fought with the 33rd. In WW1 the "Prarie Division" served with Australians at the Amiens sector and had units at Verdun and the Meuse-Argonne. The division spent 27 days in active sectors and 32 days in quiet sectors. It captured 3,987 prisoners and advanced 36 kilometers while taking 989 battle deaths and 6,266 wounded.

Attachments

• ordnance pics 073.jpg
    ordnance pics 073.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 9
Hi Dano,

i think its great to have a marked Brodie like yours, particularly as it has some family meaning for you[i hope]. I have a 1918 example, goes well with the Smellies, bandoleers and a few other WW1 Tommies bits of kit that i have collected, I have been tempted to start collecting more Brodies but what with the expense, other items, Mills bombs all over the place, that i must try and control these urges, but the disease has me bad.

Andy

33rd helmet

Yes it does have great family meaning. He passed away in 1994 at the age of 96 and had a mind as sharp as a tack. I tried on a few occasions to probe him for information but all he would ever talk about was when the war ended and how they shook hands with the Germans and traded food and the lot. Dano

Thats great Dano,

sometimes its very hard however, to get people to talk about their war experiences. especially if they have been unpleasant so i guess thats what could have happened. Actually, how can anything in a war be pleasant if you are a member of the PBI or supporting troops close to the front.
Nice to have such an item and to have had close contact with someone who was there. Ime sure you cherish the time spent with him.

Best wishes

Andy

126th

Hi bombsaway1980, The Michigan 126th was part of the 32nd or "red arrow division" The red arrow insignia was chosen because it "shot through every line the Boche put before it". They trained at Camp Logan Texas and departed for France in May, 1918. The 32nd served in detachments with the Australians in the Amiens sector and was represented by units at Verdun and in the Meuse-Argonne. They spent 27 days in active sectors and 32 days in quiet sectors. The 32nd captured 2,153 prisoners and advanced 36 kilometers taking 2,915 battle deaths and 10,477 wounded. I have not seen a 32nd division helmet for sale in quite some time, but the ones I have seen sold, went reasonable. If you check ebay from time to time one is bound to turn up. Dano

Last edited:
Yes Gothica7, the time spent with grandpa is quite cherished and he had a hard time believing that anyone would take an interest in WW1. Dano