What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7,62cm PzGr. 40

marek_wawa

Hello,
I'd like to show you one of my Pzgr.40 7,62cm projectile. I was thinking about restoring it, could you guys provide some information about markings and the paint job on these thing? There's not much info about them online.
Regards, Marek

Attachments

• _MG_3761.jpg
    _MG_3761.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 140
  • _MG_3762.jpg
    _MG_3762.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 118
  • _MG_3763.jpg
    _MG_3763.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 98
  • _MG_3765.jpg
    _MG_3765.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 105
  • _MG_3769.jpg
    _MG_3769.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 99
  • _MG_3770.jpg
    _MG_3770.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 75
  • _MG_3772.jpg
    _MG_3772.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 77
  • _MG_3774.jpg
    _MG_3774.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 74
Näyttökuva 2016-04-11 kello 20.19.26.jpgNäyttökuva 2016-04-11 kello 20.19.48.png762 Pz Gr 40 B.jpgNäyttökuva 2016-04-11 kello 20.23.36.jpg

Finnish Army manual from wartime says: "Rounds are full painted black,they have red loading markings and white driving ring type stencil KPS or FEW"

Last edited:
Jiipee76,
lve seen other "rot" 7,62cm Pzgr rounds with a red band just above the driving band.
would that be the same for all German manufactured rounds for Russian guns, inc this one ?

Last edited:
Ok, next question. Was this projectile used in 7,62 PaK casings only? There were shorter steel casings made for captured 76,2mm ZIS-3, would it be possible that they wese also used in those casingse ?

Jiipee76,
lve seen other "rot" 7,62cm Pzgr rounds with a red band just above the driving band.
would that be the same for all German manufactured rounds for Russian guns, inc this one ?

A red band above the driving band means an alteration of the driving band (see Lfd Nr 47).

All 7,62 cm shells had a white tip (AP) or a white band just below the fuze (HE or HC) to distinguish them from the 7,5 cm rounds (see Lfd Nr 26).

Attachments

• 435-3 lfd 47.jpg
    435-3 lfd 47.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 435-3 lfd 26.jpg
    435-3 lfd 26.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01952.JPG
    DSC01952.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Ok, next question. Was this projectile used in 7,62 PaK casings only? There were shorter steel casings made for captured 76,2mm ZIS-3, would it be possible that they wese also used in those casingse ?

Marek,
Your projectile is very interesting but raises 2 questions:
1- the ballistic cap is entirely filled with plastic/bakelite (see expansion holes) and there is no threaded ring to screw it onto the body. Question: was there screw thread made in the plastic/bakelite or was the cap put in place and then moulded attaching it to the body?
2- according to the Geschossringbuch the driving band of the 7,62 cm Pzgr 40 had a width of 17,4 mm. It seems to me that the driving band of your projectile was machined to narrow it down to ??? mm, probably to make it suitable for another 7,62 cm gun with a lower velocity. But what gun?

I found this drawing of the 7,62 cm Pzgr Patr 40 (r) for the 7,62 cm FK 296 (r) -russ36-.

regards,
greif

Attachments

• 7,62 cm Pzgr Patr 40 (r).jpg
    7,62 cm Pzgr Patr 40 (r).jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Thanks a lot greif!! This is something I was looking for for a long time!
Answer to question 1: The bakelite was filling the entire ballistic cap as you wrote. This particular piece is damaged and the threading in the bakelite is broken off. The bakelite was threaded and was screwed onto the projectile but I've seen one with a different setup. I'll try to find photos.
Answer to question nr 2: I will take mesurements tomorrow and post them here for you.

Marek,
1- the ballistic cap is entirely filled with plastic/bakelite (see expansion holes) and there is no threaded ring to screw it onto the body. Question: was there screw thread made in the plastic/bakelite or was the cap put in place and then moulded attaching it to the body?
2- according to the Geschossringbuch the driving band of the 7,62 cm Pzgr 40 had a width of 17,4 mm. It seems to me that the driving band of your projectile was machined to narrow it down to ??? mm, probably to make it suitable for another 7,62 cm gun with a lower velocity. But what gun?

I found this drawing of the 7,62 cm Pzgr Patr 40 (r) for the 7,62 cm FK 296 (r) -russ36-.

regards,
greif

Helo Greif,
could you tell me what manual is it please?
regards

I really don't remember where the copies came from, it was too long ago, but I think it was one of the H.Dv. 119/'s.
@Marek: is it possible to measure the diameter at the bourrelet.?

Marek,

Thanks for showing this projectile.
A special mention for the quality of your pictures !
Maybe you can offer us a tutorial in the off topics discussion...

Regards,

S.

Hi, sure sgdbdr and RichardB, I'll post a new thread with the lighting setup etc. Just give me a few days, I'm in a middle of a small crisis right now :)

Last edited:
I really don't remember where the copies came from, it was too long ago, but I think it was one of the H.Dv. 119/'s.
@Marek: is it possible to measure the diameter at the bourrelet.?

HDv 119/121

Bob

Sorry, I do not have a link.
The hard copy is in the Military Archive in Prague.
I am not allowed to post the copy on the web. They would never let me in again :)
I photographed only the part with ammunition data anyway. If You have any questions do not hasitate.

Bob

Marek,

regards,
greif

Hi greif. I'm sorry but I was quite busy and couldn't find the tme to take measuremants and photos.
This is how it lookes like. The bakelite is fully covering the inside ot the cap and ends with a thread on the bottom part. This is how it was all screwed together.
tralala.jpgnice one and mine.jpg

Dimensions measured with calipers:

measurements.jpg

I hope that helps :)
Regards, Marek