What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7,62cm PzGr. 40

Hello Marek, great photos! Many thanks.
Sooner or later we'll find evidence to which gun this projectile belongs.
Regards,
greif

They're both marked CYW/COB
Would I be correct in assuming that the projectile is manufactured in one place and finished in another

CYW - Saechsische Guss-stahlwerke Doehlen AG, Stahlwerke Freital / Sachsen
COB - Netzschkauer Maschinenfabrik, Stark u. Soehne, Netzschkau, Saxony

The only difference is that Bens projectile doesn't have a machines driving band
Ben do you know anything more about yours ?

anyone else know ?

Rich

Would I be correct in assuming that the projectile is manufactured in one place and finished in another

you are right. CYW is the forging company which forged the projectile. COB machined the projectile on their lathes.

The only difference is that Bens projectile doesn't have a machines driving band
Ben do you know anything more about yours ?

anyone else know ?

Rich

you are right. CYW is the forging company which forged the projectile. COB machined the projectile on their lathes.

Hi guys! You did a great job finding this out!
I have one piece marked only
"cob 9
7,62"
no CYW :) Is this possible that this one was produced by the Saxonian company only?

Hi Marek, Alpini is probably you're man for that question
Guesswork coming up -- Given Netzschkauer Maschinenfabrik performed the lathe work, they must have been the company putting the stamps on the body, so perhaps, they neglected to mention CYW input to the manufacturing process, and that your projectile is an earlier version. (ie before Saechsische Guss-stahlwerke complained about Netzschkauer taking the credit for their work?)

Is the driving band on this one also machined to be smaller

Also, during the manufacturing, would it have been Netzschkauer or Saechsische that performed the insertion of the Tungsten and bakelite injection into the nose?
Rich

Last edited:
As I can see Bens projectile also has a machined driving band. Keep in mind that it is a KPS driving band (= copper plated iron band).

Hello,
here mine cob made, close to a 7,5cm pzgr 40 whit cap missing.
DSC06806 rid.jpg

7,62cm pzgr 40 unfortunely cut.
DSC06802 rid.jpg

best regards

Hello,
looking carefully, I note also the enlargement above driving band is missing in this type of pzgr 40
comparazione.jpg

best regards

Hi fert, would you be so nice and take full mesurements ot your 7,62 Pzgr40 the way I did? This would be awesome.
Regards, Marek

Ben,
Please can you confirm what case is in that picture?
- Is it the standard Pak40 case?
- or is it the Russian 76x385 case (albeit German manufactured)

Would the smaller propellant charge in the Russian necessitate the driving band being machined down?

Can you share a picture of the headstamp pls?

Rich

The soviet 76,2mm ammuniton has the driving band 12,5mm wide, that is roughly the same as on the Pzgr 40 shown.
There was a formula to compute the width, but I can not find it right now.
One of the values You have to imput is muzzle velocity so it would be logical that soviet guns have the band narrower.
Too wide bands would wear the rifling faster.

Bob

So presumably these 7,62cm Pzgr40's were originally manufactured for the Russian 76.2mm when used as an anti tank gun with the Pak 40 case in the Pak 36 (r) gun, and machined down with smaller driving band for 7,62 cm FK Feldkanone 36 (r) with the 76x385 case ?....as I think Marek suggested?

Rich