What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flechettes

Here are a couple shots of AAI factory boards, some of the best reference materials I've found. With thanks to Woodin Lab.

Attachments

• Board 7 AAI.jpg
    Board 7 AAI.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Board 8 AAI.jpg
    Board 8 AAI.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 102
And here are a couple more.

Attachments

• Board 9 AAI.jpg
    Board 9 AAI.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Board 10 AAI.jpg
    Board 10 AAI.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 80
Don't know for sure, but it sounds reasonable, at least for .50 and above. I've never seen anything on below .50 though, I was told once that when you got too low in quantity the penetration and pyrophoric effect dropped off, but don't know that for certain, may be just a war story.

Flechettes cartridge primers

US-subs, great pics of the boards. Any more? The piston primer is interesting as a way to operate the weapon locking system. Expensive to manufacture however. Two pics one of a fired case with the primer out and an unfired case with no primer.

Attachments

• ACR Piston primes fired & Unloaded.jpg
    ACR Piston primes fired & Unloaded.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 46
I'll try and post some more photos of boards tomorrow.

A few more of the boards.

Attachments

• Board 11 AAI.jpg
    Board 11 AAI.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Board 12 AAI.jpg
    Board 12 AAI.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Board 13 AAI.jpg
    Board 13 AAI.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 76
Great photos, thanks for showing them.
Bill has some REALLY food stuff!
Dave.

I will second Jeff's comment on Bill Woodin's collection. Picture a room with an island of cabinets in the middle. The cabinets house drawers designed to hold mechanical drawings and are about 2 inches deep by 2 feet wide by 18 to 24 inches front to back. The island is 50 ft long by 5 feet high and has two rows of cabinets back-to-back so half of the drawers open to the north and the other half opens to the south. All of the drawers are full. Ammo is collected for any difference, so headstamp, primer color, primer annulus color, bullet type, etc.

Dave, you have one 25mm telescoped round for the F-15. Bill has 6 or 8 at least. I think he stops at 35mm, but it might have been lowered to a smaller diameter caliber due to space restrictions.

I will second Jeff's comment on Bill Woodin's collection. Picture a room with an island of cabinets in the middle. The cabinets house drawers designed to hold mechanical drawings and are about 2 inches deep by 2 feet wide by 18 to 24 inches front to back. The island is 50 ft long by 5 feet high and has two rows of cabinets back-to-back so half of the drawers open to the north and the other half opens to the south. All of the drawers are full. Ammo is collected for any difference, so headstamp, primer color, primer annulus color, bullet type, etc.

Dave, you have one 25mm telescoped round for the F-15. Bill has 6 or 8 at least. I think he stops at 35mm, but it might have been lowered to a smaller diameter caliber due to space restrictions.

Mmmmmmmmm..........brilliant, can someone persuade Bill to join BOCN??
I'm up to 2 Brunswicks now, picked one up last weekend but I know what you mean, nothing else comes even close.
Dave.

What's this one out of?

Can anyone tell me what this one is out of please.
I was told it was out of a missile but can't remember which one.
It is about 5 inches long and feels like its made out of some sort of tungsten steel.
Thanks.
Dave.

Attachments

• 1 Nov 09 019.jpg
    1 Nov 09 019.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 1 Nov 09 020.jpg
    1 Nov 09 020.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 45
Just noted there are over 2200 views and 74 replies on this thread. Way to go SUBS!

Have heard similar descriptions of Mr. Woodin's collection. He's not much on computerin', which is our loss. A shame we can't download his knowledge.

Thanks, had a little competition going with Peteblight over that, he never stood a chance.

Regarding Woodin Lab, Bill has done the next best thing, he has established a foundation which will maintain and protect the collection for the future. He makes his collection available for serious research, and has always been extremely open and supportive to all people I know who have approached him. Obviously he doesn't have time to answer ever little question (and I have plenty), but he has given to the ordnance research and collecting community for decades, and hopefully for a long time to come.

SG-500, in regard to the long flechettes, I first picked mine up about 6-7 years ago, I was told at that time that they had been trialed by the UK in a helicopter rocket. A couple years ago I was shown some identical pieces and told that they had come from a US helicopter rocket. I've seen no publication showing them, so do not know if they are an adopted item or not. An unclass page or two from a pub would be really helpful if anyone has one.

I was out of office on a bullet run today, took a few photos of some flechette pieces, I'll get them downloaded and post some later tonight.

Regarding the post count... If you subtract US Subs own posts (26) and mine in response (1) then that leaves a very humble 48 posts!!!

Just thought i'd put the record straight!! :xd:

Pete

Here are a couple pieces I photographed today. The 152mm is a seldom seen piece, for the US Sheridan Tank.

Attachments

• DSC_3657.jpg
    DSC_3657.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_3634.jpg
    DSC_3634.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_3628.jpg
    DSC_3628.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 101
Slightly OT but not... I saw a black & white WWI movie when I was kid. The only scene I remember, was some French aviators, dumping a keg of nails, on a German trench. I remember one German, with his foot stuck to a duck board, and another, with his hand stuck to the top of his helmet!:tinysmile_cry_t3: Anyone know that move? May have been silent?

flechette

Here a cuitaway of a 5,6 x 44 flechette cartridge for the XM216 rifle.
Regards DJH

Attachments

• 5,6x44 flechette XM216.JPG
    5,6x44 flechette XM216.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 69
Here are a couple more of the boards, still courtesy of Woodin Lab.

Attachments

• Board 14 FA.jpg
    Board 14 FA.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Board 15 FA.jpg
    Board 15 FA.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 69