What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More German Squeezebores

I'll be the first to get confused on German experimentals. I've got access to some really great photos here, but have problems telling apart some of the squeezebore from discarding sabots, etc. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out one squeezebore before I realized that it wasn't German----

Feel free to post them anyway, always interested in squeezebores from any country. Could be worth starting a separate thread for squeezebores from other countries?
Thanks.
Dave.

There is only one round that I am aware of in these photos - let me work my way through the German ones first and I'll post it after.

7.5  1.jpg7.5  2.jpg7.5  3.jpg7.5  4.jpg7.5  5.jpg

Oh wow, I can only dream! Excellent photos, thanks for posting them. Very rare items to see photos of, even rarer to own.

Dave.

Is this an arrowhead, or a squeezebore?

5cm  2-1.jpg5cm  2-2.jpg5cm  2-3.jpg

Attachments

• 5cm  1-1.jpg
    5cm 1-1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 5cm  1-2.jpg
    5cm 1-2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 5cm  1-3.jpg
    5cm 1-3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 5cm  1-4.jpg
    5cm 1-4.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 5cm  1-5.jpg
    5cm 1-5.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 103
Still fighting the photo attachment process here - not sure how I get the attached thumbnails, or how to get rid of them. Enjoy the second set, clearly not a squeezebore.

the Round with the "40 Kw.K." headstamp is a fake again (with a fantasy headstamp :))

the Round with the "40 Kw.K." headstamp is a fake again (with a fantasy headstamp :))

Nothing here is fake or fantasy, they all are part of a very legitimate historic museum collection. Some items may have been miss-identified by museum staff - or me, or rounds may on occasion end up in incorrect cases, but all are WWII recoveries (WWII and immediately after the war) and I have the highest degree of confidence in their authenticity. I don't pretend to know what they all are or to understand many of their markings, but I am certain that they are authentic.

Attachments

• ed_3[1].jpg
    ed_3[1].jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 3c_3[1].jpg
    3c_3[1].jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 66
  • ba_3[1].jpg
    ba_3[1].jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Alpini,
I've read through the posts that I can understand - not a German speaker - Noting that there are some similarities, there are also numerous differences. Possibly because I cannot understand all of the posts in the other forum, I remain unconvinced. Perhaps the biggest point for me is the lineage. This item comes from a museum that was closed in the mid 1990s. It's museum record number goes back a number of years further. The museum was a military one, made up specifically of items that were experimental test pieces or munitions that were recovered from conflict zones and returned for evaluation. The museum sold nothing, bought nothing, did not accept donations from the civilian world. If this is a fake, I do not understand how it got into the system, or why. There is no profit to be made here, no one is trying to sell something or con anybody. You have seen the other photos - a tiny fraction of what I am reviewing - this piece is a part of the same collection, all of the pieces grouped from WWII. While I recognize that fakes can find their way into museums, this was not a normal museum like the Smithsonian or the Imperial war Museum.

Please share the photos with the other forum, I would be intersted in hearing their opinion, and if this piece remains in doubt, a translation of exactly why. Thanks in advance.

US-Subs....
Irrespective of the question about 5cm Arrowhead (Which is incredibly common relative to the others, so I wouldn't worry too much)... I for one would like to give you a HUGE thank you for posting these pictures. Really nice to see them with such good quality pictures as well

Can I ask if these are in another museum now in the US and viewable?
If there are any more, please keep posting :eek:)

Thank you again
Rich

Jeff, I understand the nature of this collection but need to say that I heard plenty of stories from people who visited such places and were allowed to do research and photo work in there. Nothing easier done than taking in a fake and replacing the original. Not all researchers and collectors are honest! Do these people have a log of who has been in and out over the last 15 years?

Not to mention the stories I know of where employees and visitors been helping themselfes and took what ever they wanted (or were able to carry). And this does not apply only to the US.

US-Subs...........this former museum/collection sounds like stuff dreams are made of!!! Its a pleasure to look at the photographs you are posting. The pictures speak for themselves, please keep them coming.

Thankyou Kev