What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nebelwerfer 41

What is the second hole, the one on the side for? and what fits into it?

I've had a look at the nose fuze hole and it's badly dented..

It's for filling the liquid incendiary stuff. I think there belongs just a simple screw cap.

Thanks Jussi and Peter

Many thanks to "Jiipee76" and "sudelmuk" who have given me great help to find a WRG Z 50 fuze.

Waffy (waffenampt), who lives near to me, has one and has kindly offered to sell it to me.

Again, thanks Peter (Germany) and Jussi (Finland) for your help.

The WRG Z 50 fuze has arrived - thanks to Waffy :top:

But as you can see, the fuze just sits in the pocket hole, so, there must be another piece that accepts the fuze and then screws into the Pocket hole itself :hmmmm2:

Look at the damage to the pocket hole, I think the adapter piece would cover most of the top of this and then the fuze just screws into it. Maybe the damage is just to severe to accept the missing part?

Will I ever get this missing part :hmmmm:

Any ideas/comments?

Attachments

• fuze1 003 (800x600).jpg
    fuze1 003 (800x600).jpg
    223 KB · Views: 30
  • fuze1 002 (800x600).jpg
    fuze1 002 (800x600).jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 30
  • fuze1 001 (800x600).jpg
    fuze1 001 (800x600).jpg
    199 KB · Views: 27
  • fuze1 004 (800x600).jpg
    fuze1 004 (800x600).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
32 cm pictures

32cm wurfrahmen.jpg32cm wurfrahmen2.jpg32cm wurfrahmen3.jpg

I was telling skull181 offline I had taken some pictures about 20 years ago of a 32 cm and maybe there was a filler cap in there. Well there wasn't but there was a bakelite fuze adapter. See the images. I would say this is instead of the adapter he has on the fuze he got.
Bill

What you are missing is the "MUNDLOCHBUCHSE", as pictured in the linked drawing and the photos above. This is a very traditional part which most shells had already in the 19th century. It harbours the main igniter-detonator-booster and the fuze screws into this.
Bellifortis.
The WRG Z 50 fuze has arrived - thanks to Waffy :top:

But as you can see, the fuze just sits in the pocket hole, so, there must be another piece that accepts the fuze and then screws into the Pocket hole itself :hmmmm2:

Look at the damage to the pocket hole, I think the adapter piece would cover most of the top of this and then the fuze just screws into it. Maybe the damage is just to severe to accept the missing part?

Will I ever get this missing part :hmmmm:

Any ideas/comments?

What you are missing is the "MUNDLOCHBUCHSE", as pictured in the linked drawing and the photos above. This is a very traditional part which most shells had already in the 19th century. It harbours the main igniter-detonator-booster and the fuze screws into this.
Bellifortis.

Anybody got a spare "Mundlochbuchse" or could somebody make me one?.... :laugh: would it fit the 32 cm Fl.?

Thanks for the pictures Bill, like you say patience is the way for this restoration.

I will try and make the missing piece out of car filler, due to the damage to the pocket hole, I think the flexible filler
could cover the damaged top/mouth and also act as a adapter for the fuze as well.

What, with a "Mundlochbuchse" and a "Fullschraube", no wonder I'm going bald.... :tinysmile_tongue_t:

The good news is a Rocket motor has been found...:dancing:

Thanks for every body's help!

Last edited:

Attachments

• swg41_salon_caisse_droit%20(2).jpg
    swg41_salon_caisse_droit%20(2).jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 36
  • swg41_salon_caisse_droit-detail.jpg
    swg41_salon_caisse_droit-detail.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 33
Yes, it's a odd looking fuze adapter :hmmmm2:

If you look at the one that's posted earlier in the thread, shown here, open it up and
have a look at the nose area. I think this one is genuine.

The fuze doesn't have my adapter, it seems different?

The search continues...

Thanks for the help. :)

Attachments

• f332cm%20Flame%20&%20Davy%20Crockett.jpg
    f332cm%20Flame%20&%20Davy%20Crockett.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 24
  • fuze1 003 (800x600).jpg
    fuze1 003 (800x600).jpg
    223 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
What is thread diameter of the filling hole in your rocket? Fllschraube in the picture above looks similar to oil barrel caps of that era. I'm pretty sure I can arrange for you such a cap next year if you don't find it earlier.

IMG_5694.jpg

And it appears there are many variations in the oil/fuel drum filler plugs. This site http://www.network54.com/Forum/4720...re+from+LionRoar+-+Jerrycans+&+Fuel+Drums shows a pile of drums and I've attached a picture they show of some different types of plugs in that pile. Looking at the pictures you can see at least one more.
Bill
What is thread diameter of the filling hole in your rocket? Fllschraube in the picture above looks similar to oil barrel caps of that era. I'm pretty sure I can arrange for you such a cap next year if you don't find it earlier.

Botcheg. The first plug on left looks very similar to the plug on your rocket picture above, provided that thread is the same.

I've decided to work now on the filler cap and get it sorted.

I have include these two pictures to show the thread hole and recess/cover hole

Thread internal diameter is 40 mm, do we need to look at M40 blanking plug? (2nd picture)

So if I get a M40 plug, what about the cover plug 55 mm? (1st picture)

If I was to get one fabricated, what would the sizes be?

Have a look and see what you think.

"I'm pretty sure I can arrange for you such a cap next year if you don't find it earlier".

I need one now thanks matey:cheers:

I will get one done by hook or by crook :argh:

Attachments

• filler2 001 (800x600).jpg
    filler2 001 (800x600).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 15
  • filler2 002 (800x600).jpg
    filler2 002 (800x600).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I'm afraid a cap from 200 liters barrel is too big, but how about from 50 liters barrell? I have seen such German WW2 barrels with screw caps as well, unfortunately don't remember if the caps are smaller or the same.