What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Museum Ordnance Photos

Do you have an obverse view of the Hawkins No. 75 grenade/mine (image 12 above)? It appears to be missing the filling top, I'm interested to know if there any other variations from the HE version

Thanks

TimG

Do you have an obverse view of the Hawkins No. 75 grenade/mine (image 12 above)? It appears to be missing the filling top, I'm interested to know if there any other variations from the HE version

Thanks

TimG

From this long thread :

75 Prac.jpg

Italian naval shell for 76 mm 40 Cal. guns - interesting!

Hi this shell isn't for navy, this color code was for army shells. green band= steel shell, blue band= anti aircraft, red= loaded.
DSC06900 rid.jpg07 mar 2012_5250 rid.jpg

@US-Sub:Can you post any other pics about the nose of shell? I don't clearly understand what is screwed in, may be an adaptor for percussion fuze?
best regards

Thanks

TimG
From this long thread :

View attachment 90876

The Mark 3 did not have a filling hole. It was filled before the end plate was "jenny'd" on. I have seen two Mark IIs modified as Mark 3s. See below for drawing of the Mk 3. It was a wartime development made obsolete in December 1945 but reinstated for Army use in 1949. It was used by the Navy for a short time in the 1950s.

The No 75 Mk I was available as HE (Couple of filling designs), Drill (filled sand and sawdust) and Practice (not aware of an Instructional but it was usual to produce Instructional stores for the Military College of Science and Bramley)
The No 75 Mk II was produced as HE and Drill (not sure about Practice or Instuctional)
The No 75 Mk 3 was available in HE and Drill and, as would appear from the photograph, Inert Instructional.

no75mk3.jpg

Norman,

Thank you very much. I wasn't sure if it was 'as manufactured' or 'butchered', now I know. What was the Navy's intended use?

TimG

Norman,

Thank you very much. I wasn't sure if it was 'as manufactured' or 'butchered', now I know. What was the Navy's intended use?

TimG

Tim,

Just as a demolition charge I think although I guess it could be rigged up as a scare change. They developed their 14oz charge (from the SOE GP Grenade) at about that time I believe but perhaps it was not in production or production was insufficient for the needs of a Navy deploying to Korea.

Hi this shell isn't for navy, this color code was for army shells. green band= steel shell, blue band= anti aircraft, red= loaded.

@US-Sub:Can you post any other pics about the nose of shell? I don't clearly understand what is screwed in, may be an adaptor for percussion fuze?
best regards

I'll check when I get home from work.

I wish I had some. This is the first one I see. So seeing one being preserved in this condition is great!

I'll have to check and see if there are any pictures of the base of the projectile.

That would be great. Let alone the fuze designation would be legible if the fuze is still present.

best regards[/QUOTE]

ICE-AH-167-22.JPGICE-AH-167-23.JPGICE-AH-167-27.JPG