What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archive photos

Well at least the "Walt" didn't catch the Skyraider photo!

That is one old prototype photo for the Paveway I program. They have one of those bombs at the Hill AFB Museum. The info they have there says:

http://www.hill.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=5798

"Texas Instruments BOLT-117 Laser Guided Bomb

The BOLT-117 (BOmb, Laser Terminal-117) was the world's first
laser-guided bomb. It consisted of a standard M117 750-pound general-purpose
iron bomb with a KMU-342 laser seeker head and control fins attached. This
weapon could track laser energy directed at a target and guide to strike that
energy, which allowed for much more precise targeting than dropping the unguided
bomb alone. The M117 general-purpose bomb had first been used during the Korean
War and was later employed extensively in Vietnam.

Development of the
BOLT-117 began in 1967 and it was successfully deployed in 1968. Its service was
brief, however, due to the introduction of the more accurate and larger GBU-10
laser guided bomb, a 2,000-pound weapon with greater destructive power. The
advent of the BOLT-117 had revolutionized ordnance delivery though, proving that
laser guidance could turn standard "dumb" bombs into "smart bombs."

So here is my question, and I've asked it before. In the 5th photo, the lettering on the bomb, 6th line. What does "with Pads" mean? I've seen that label on bombs before, and no one seems to know what it means.

Last edited:
Probably. It would be nice to know if they just shipped out the adapters and rockets for modification on site, or if they were done in Depot and shipped out complete - That would be some interesting box markings.

Yes, if done in the field we will hardly find proper documentation on it. At best an order that it had to be done this way and that's it (referring to the manuals where the items were described in original configuration).
Also looking at the date of 1965 I wonder if they had regular 2.75in WP by then (any info on adoption dates of the "regular shape" 2.75in WP?). Means these here with the 3.5in heads might have been some sort of interim/emergency measure (making the existing number even smaller then).
Just a guess...

Yes, if done in the field we will hardly find proper documentation on it. At best an order that it had to be done this way and that's it (referring to the manuals where the items were described in original configuration).
Also looking at the date of 1965 I wonder if they had regular 2.75in WP by then (any info on adoption dates of the "regular shape" 2.75in WP?). Means these here with the 3.5in heads might have been some sort of interim/emergency measure (making the existing number even smaller then).
Just a guess...

I recall seeing them in EOD school in the late 70s, then we also had one in the collection at the 94th in CO and I've seen one since then in a collection somewhere. It also seems that it used to show up in a pub/document somewhere, but it has been a long time and I don't remember the reference. Might have been the old McClellan CW EOD guide. I'll try and set it aside the next time I pass it.

John, same thing on the "PADS". I've seen the answer somewhere, but I was doing something else at the time and it wasn't important, just sort of interesting in passing. I'll keep it on my radar for the next time I see it.

The Skyraider rules! I always wondered how such a small aircraft could take such a huge arms load. Definately one of my favourites.

The Wright Duplex Cyclone 18 Cylinder Engine at 2700 Hp (same as the B29), 12,000 lbs empty, 25,000 lbs Max load, huge wings...No wonder they called it the Flying Dump Truck. May not be able to do dog fights, but in some cases, low and slow beats fast and furious. Great Bird!! Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

I've always been a huge Skyraider fan. I too was always amazed at the unbelievable bomb load they could carry.

Col. Bernard Fisher is a neighbor about 10 miles away. The last time I bumped into him was in Walmart of all places.

Attachments

• Bernard Fisher.jpg
    Bernard Fisher.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hi Hazord,Re the Skyraiders strength,did you see in the news last year where a Skyraider and a P51 collided in mid air at a display,the P51 crashed (pilot bailed out and was ok)the Skyraider lost the outboard section of the right wing continued flying and landed ok,talk about built like a brick sh... chicken house,what a superb aircraft,good to see that some are still flying,
Regards,Don,

The Wright Duplex Cyclone 18 Cylinder Engine at 2700 Hp (same as the B29), 12,000 lbs empty, 25,000 lbs Max load, huge wings...No wonder they called it the Flying Dump Truck. May not be able to do dog fights, but in some cases, low and slow beats fast and furious. Great Bird!! Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

Bruce, thanks for the engine info, I already wondered if the engine on the A-1 was from a bomber. What a beast!

I've always been a huge Skyraider fan. I too was always amazed at the unbelievable bomb load they could carry.

Col. Bernard Fisher is a neighbor about 10 miles away. The last time I bumped into him was in Walmart of all places.

Hazord, that reminds me of Dieter Dengler and the TV documentary on him "Little Dieter needs to fly" who was shot down with his A-1, became POW and then escaped.
I was really impressed by that documentary.
If any of you has the chance to watch it you should not miss.

Last edited:
The data entry says "armed with Sparrow missiles and bombs", but those are SUU-30 dispensers and, unless my eyes are deceiving me, the silver items on the forward stations are BLU-52s - CS-2 filled BLU-1 firebomb bodies. Another piece rarely seen in photos.

g35a.jpgg35a a.jpgg35b.jpg

The F4 is a lightweight. Here is a shot of my favorite bomber - the "AH"-54.

g31a.jpgg31a 2.jpgg31a 3.jpgg31b.jpg

Never seen or heard of that being done. Awesomely weird! But you can't argue with success. Jeff, going WAY back to when you started this thread (page 1), you had posted pix of a ship with a hold full of MM 1 A1 155mm shells, and we had commented on their obsolescence and trying to thin out stock. Well, one of the contributors on another forum posted the following link of pre and post D-Day color photos and one of the pix shows a soldier in an ammo dump having a meal while using the stacks of MK 1 shells as a table and seat. I guess that there were REALLY big magazines FULL of ordnance left over from WWI. Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2100326/Stunning-rare-colour-images-World-War-II.html

Some great photos there, the depth and color is from the old glory days of film, hard to get today from digital. I like the early lifting lugs on the projos, it is surprising how few survived.

Anyone want a Cheese Burger?! At least that's what they called 'em when I went through EOD School, anyway. The "Daisy Cutter" was the three coupled 3' long fuze extenders used to give it the above ground blast. Thanks again, Jeff!!

Last edited:
Think is was lae 80's one of them went off by itself at Serria depot - a number of them were dismantled by the 34th if I remember correctly. The rear end plate was bolted on, so the unbolted it and shoveled out the AN/AL mix is kind of a slurry. They think the problem was water or mositure reacted with the AL causing heat and hydrogen gas to form which within time 0 bang. The EODP said something about explosive salts if I remember right, but can't see what they the pub meant. I did work for Atlas Powder (same type company as IRECO commerical explsoives) and we made the same mix but for commerical blasting.

The EODP said something about explosive salts if I remember right, but can't see what they the pub meant.

Maybe they meant picrates which are crystals growing with time and under certain conditions (added moisture?). Once you break such a crystal it goes off (what may be caused already by material expansion due to increasing temperature etc.).
A prominent problem with picric acid for example.
If somebody knows better please correct me since I am not sure if it is this what was meant with "salts".

Last edited:
Ahhh good 'ol Daisy Cutters.
I was once offered an inert one. The $10,000.00 pricetag and lack of storage space dictated a retreat from THAT "deal."
When used most recently, (early in Iraq,) British Commandos out in the desert, unaware of their use radioed back "The Yanks have nuked them!"