What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archive photos

The VB-13 Tarzon, identified as a modified British Tallboy.

US Tarzon 1.jpgUS Tarzon 2.jpgUS Tarzon 3.jpgUS Tarzon 4.jpg

A couple of unidentified photos, by the markings on the rounds they appear to have been used in a test (1930s?) of 12-inch and 14-inch guns, probably at Picatinny Arsenal.

Artillery Amunition 12-inch a.jpg Artillery Amunition 12-inch b.jpg Artillery Amunition 12-inch c.jpg Artillery Amunition 12-inch d.jpg Artillery Amunition 12-inch e.jpg

Artillery Amunition 14-inch  a.jpg Artillery Amunition 14-inch  b.jpg Artillery Amunition 14-inch  c.jpg Artillery Amunition 14-inch  d.jpg

Practice bombs, loading .50 cal and what looks like a salvo of 5-inch aircraft rockets. I love the plane in back of the .50 cal loading, are those the types of aircraft downed listed above each flash?

Practice Bombs.jpg Munitions Maintenance.jpg Munitions Maintenance a.jpg Rocket in Formation.jpg

I would agree with that, there was a quantity of these 37mm and the 47mm types sent over after the war for testing. The Cannon is the "Baldwin" quite a monster and unsuccessful. There was at the time no American counterpart to these projectiles.

Hi US-Subs,Yes those would be aircraft destroyed by the pilot,FW 190s,Bf,(ME)109s,and ME 110s,the pilot,whoever he was has been real busy,the aircraft is I think a P47d type,which would put it late on in the war,possibly some of the enemy aircraft destroyed would be on the ground,which in a way is just as dangerous as in air to air combat,sometimes even more so,with eight .50s and those rockets he could really ruin someones day,
Many thanks for posting,
Cheers,
Don,

A jump forward in time to Vietnam - a series of photos identified as related to AF EOD in Vietnam.

.2.75 Folding Fin.jpg 107mm 1969.jpgRussian 122mm.jpg Vietnam Dearming 1965.jpgVietnam Disposal 1966.jpg Vietnam 1968.jpg

Found lots of early photos on different bomb suspension devices. I don't care much about the devices, but the bombs are pretty good.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Neat. That kinda looks like the same kit as the BAT. Wonder if it's a modification. Cheers, Bruce.

I suspect that the Bat was an offshoot or even just one of the models from the GB program. I've got photos of early glide bomb models from GB-1 to maybe GB-15, but didn't want to bore people.

"Anlassen"(To start): "Lufthahn auf (air stopcock on), "Drossel zu" (throttle closed), "Taste drcken"(press key)
"Ausgehen" (extinguish) : "Wiederanlassen erst nach 20 Sekunden" (restart only after 20 sec.)
"Scharf" (armed)
Regards,
Bellifortis.
Thought I'd throw in a couple of close-ups of the gauges from the photos above. Can one of our German speakers translate? Sorry, that is the best I can enlarge the photo.

View attachment 60381View attachment 60382

I'll take a break from guided bombs and throw out a couple of grenade shots and a flare. I enhanced the label on the flare best I could, came up with Flare, Picatinny Arsenal and a date of October 1930. I also like the plug for firing the MKII used in the frag test.

RG1.jpgRG2.jpgMKII a.jpg MKII a  a.jpg MKII b.jpg Flare 2.jpgFlare a.jpg

"Anlassen"(To start): "Lufthahn auf (air stopcock on), "Drossel zu" (throttle closed), "Taste drcken"(press key)
"Ausgehen" (extinguish) : "Wiederanlassen erst nach 20 Sekunden" (restart only after 20 sec.)
"Scharf" (armed)
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Regarding the "Lufthahn auf = air stopcock on":
Online translations are a bad thing.
"Lufthahn auf" translates to: "air valve open"

Last edited: