What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archive photos

A really interesting part to that story is who used them. It was all part of a contiuous Psy-ops mission, with leaflets deployed in advance of each drop etc. A guy who was involved and later wrote the definitive book on the leaflets sent me an early rough mission report, complete with hard photos, dates, names, leaflets, etc. I'll see if I can dig it out and include some scans.

Think is was lae 80's one of them went off by itself at Serria depot - a number of them were dismantled by the 34th if I remember correctly. The rear end plate was bolted on, so the unbolted it and shoveled out the AN/AL mix is kind of a slurry. They think the problem was water or mositure reacted with the AL causing heat and hydrogen gas to form which within time 0 bang. The EODP said something about explosive salts if I remember right, but can't see what they the pub meant. I did work for Atlas Powder (same type company as IRECO commerical explsoives) and we made the same mix but for commerical blasting.

Weber, When I got out of EOD and went in to commercial blasting, we would get trailers in of pre-bagged ANFO. In the summer, if we didn't use it within a 2 week period, the ANFO would, what ORICA termed, "cycle". The heat and humidity would cause the bags (and the bulk truck with just AN prills for that matter) to expand and cake, forming a almost useless brick that had increased in volume by 25%-50%. The bags were a pain to handle and the bulk truck was near impossible to get to feed right without A LOT of work. Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

Right An, in the blasting buisness will absorb mositure so bad that it will get as hard a brick. At our plant in Koplin, Mo whenthe big stock piles of An got really ahrd, one of the opertors would take a half stick of dynamite drill in the the pile and fire off the stick. First time I heard of this and was watching it I kept looking for a big hole to hide in. But wasn't a problem. The true ANFO bags (with fuel added) never seemed to be a problem. Can't remember what the nomenclature was but we also made a number of big "sauage" bags with AN/AL/ and a liquid inert materials. If you cut open the bag it looked like wet san concrete. We had a couple other mixes like these but they were cap sensitive.

FYI some one (ATF Homeland Security ??) has the idea of adding ammonium sulfate to the AN mix to make it less explosive. It will reduce over all output, but with the addition of a common ingredient youm can get your over all power back (or at least pretty close to it). They are worried about the AN from a fertilizer point, supposedly easy to get access too etc,. But the blasting industry does not appear to be included.

StrategyPage.com

Neutering Ammonium Nitrate

February 14, 2012: The United States is trying to get fertilizer
manufacturers to produce less explosive products. That's because terrorists
increasingly use ammonium nitrate (a commonly used agricultural fertilizer)
for their bombs (by mixing it with fuel oil and setting it off with a
detonator). There is now a new form of ammonium nitrate fertilizer that it
will not function effectively as an explosive. The Honeywell Corporation
found that by adding some modified ammonium sulfate to the ammonium nitrate,
you actually improve the fertilizing ability of the mix (by making the
treated soil less acidic), and also prevent the fertilizer from being used
as an explosive. Actually, you can still use the ammonium sulfate nitrate
mix as an explosive, but it requires some creative chemistry to do so, and
serves as a technological barrier for most terrorist groups. Although not a
fertilizer manufacturer, American conglomerate (it makes a lot of different
stuff) Honeywell found this less explosive ammonium nitrate formula while
developing fire retardants. New discoveries are often made that way, by
accident.
The military has long used ammonium nitrate as an explosive in large bombs
(usually five tons or more of ammonium nitrate, fuel oil and powdered
aluminum) and would continue to do so. But plain old ammonium nitrate would
be reclassified as "military grade explosives material" and its sale would
be restricted. Unfortunately, some terrorists will be able to find chemists
with the skills to convert the ammonium sulfate nitrate fertilizer to the
more explosive type. It is still a difficult process, but not so difficult
that some terrorists will find a way to do it. Meanwhile, the larger problem
is getting ammonium nitrate fertilizer manufacturers, in areas where
terrorists obtain and use the fertilizer for explosives (Pakistan, in
particular), to switch to the non-explosive type.

StrategyPage.com C 2012

PS - Mike,
copy, paste to MS word, click on home, change font color to lite gray, copy, past to BOCN. So easy a caveman could do it.

Neutering AN - seems the article has a few qustionable statements.

OK Jeff this caveman has learned now - thanks

Don't blame me, I didn't write it. Since I had a couple people forward it to me at work and figured it tied in with the discussion I thought I'd throw it into the mix. I doubt that it is going to make the fertilizer any cheaper, so convince the farmers.

Weberoed,
Thought this might interest you -

"The Oppau explosion occurred on September 21, 1921 when a tower silo storing 4,500 tonnes of a mixture of ammonium sulfate and ammonium nitrate fertilizer exploded at a BASF plant in Oppau, now part of Ludwigshafen, Germany, killing 500600 people and injuring about 2,000 more."

"Compared to ammonium sulfate, ammonium nitrate is strongly hygroscopic, so the mixture of ammonium sulfate and nitrate clogged together under the pressure of its own weight, turning it into a plaster-like substance in the 20 m high silo."

"To ease their work, small charges of dynamite were used to loosen the mixture. The procedure was tried experimentally and was considered safe; it was not known at the time that ammonium nitrate was explosive. Nothing extraordinary happened during an estimated 20,000 firings, until the fateful explosion on September 21. As all involved died in the explosion, the causes are not clear."
Ok it's a lift from Wikipedia - but the disaster is well documented.

TimG

I've read about that one. Also the Texas City explosion, just after WWII a freighter loadedwith An was in Texas Habor. A fire started on board and the An just keep feeding. The fire cheif and ship capt desided to close all hatches to smuther the fire - big mistake one of the largest commerial explosions in the US, can't remember how many were killed.

Intersting that at that time An and AS were being used together, now people are writing papers to amke AN less explosive and they seem to be repeating history.

Jeff - got the same posting from a friend and the EOD site too

This comes from an EOD officer's report in 1971, identified as a German grenade located in Switzerland. I've removed the officer's name and trimmed the pages a little to save on file size. Anyone recognize it?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

U.S. Subs,
That is the first I have heard about the supplijment to neutralize the nitrate. Should we be advertising this? Perhaps we could have a few duds!!
Regards,
John

This comes from an EOD officer's report in 1971, identified as a German grenade located in Switzerland. I've removed the officer's name and trimmed the pages a little to save on file size. Anyone recognize it?

It looks like a very antiquated design. May it be that it got ony discovered in 1971 after it had been sitting there for 40+ years?
Looks a bit like a patent design which was handed out to possible customers by the inventor.
Just my thoughts.

As for the nirate, just finished looking at the chemistry of the process and the neuralization additive., with another explosive engineer I work with Without going into detail, it appears a bad guy could add the same common material the IRA did to the AN that had extremely low nitrogen content. Of course this would increase the total weight of your explosive and it would also reduce the over all output (speed of det, and over all pressure duration.) So if you had 100 lbs to start with, you would have to add 50 lbs of the material and do an extremely good blending. Det speed (est) would be much m uch lower then that of AN, and the pressure wave would be much smaller then what would be needed to push ot collapse a building. Overall not a very good choice for a McVeigh type bomb

U.S. Subs,
That is the first I have heard about the supplijment to neutralize the nitrate. Should we be advertising this? Perhaps we could have a few duds!!
Regards,
John

John,
I was sent this as a link and it came from an open internet news source, it seemed relevant to the discussion at the time. That being said, you have a valid point.

View attachment 64964View attachment 64965View attachment 64966View attachment 64967View attachment 64968View attachment 64969View attachment 64970

im not understanding how this thing works at all,,is it one big detonation or multiple detonations as the fuze burns into each segment???

I don't know, I was hoping that a German or Swiss member would recognize it -

I'm off work for a couple days and have some time to burn, so thought I would drag this thread out and dust it off.
I was very fortunate this summer to be able to take part in some research at a major US military museum, where I was able to view and photograph some interesting items. While there I was also given access to their archives, especially their photo archives. Some of the pictures are US, some from other countries. Many I've seen before (but not usually quite so nice condition) but many I saw here for the first time and I'd like to share now. I thought that I would open with one of my favorites. I'm not much for box collecting, but here is a box that I would gladly fight for, the first time I've ever seen a photo of one. Oh, and a couple of No. 75's - US version?

Hawkins Mines.jpgHawkins Mines a.jpg

Couple more photos, first are some of an early 37mm AC cannon, anyone know what the ammunition was? Then a photo of a GB-1, a long running series of guided US Glide Bombs. I found a lot of photos on this series, quite interesting. Most used standard 1000lb bombs as the warhead,

37mm Cannon c.jpg 37mm Cannon b.jpg 37mm Cannon.003a.jpg US GB-1.jpg

There were row of these at Ft. Sill 1953-55. I don't remember issuing any out, but I understand they were used for trianing previously.