What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War n Peace show

I think I know the stand you refer to, it is a bit sad, I know there has been a lot of digging on the trenches by the authorities in several places and I often wonder what happens with all the finds once the dig is over, perhaps it leaks out onto the market?

Great idea !

Hi, how about a new thread on members finds at War and Peace over the coming days. I went today (Wednesday) and picked up a few things, as soon as I am near my camera again I will share some pics.

Was a little sad seeing boxes full of battlefield relics all unlabeled and mixed together, it is such a shame when the history is lost forever.

On a positive note was great to see a good selection of ordnance, but it is hard on the eyes and feet with so many stalls to look at.

Dan

Excellent idea Rockteer-I will post my goodies in the morning.

A few more.

Just a couple more and then I will leave it for the others to fill you all in.

See if you can spot "Mad bomber" in one and Ben giving me the "hard sell" with a really nice sectioned shell !

Attachments

• IMG_0308m.jpg
    IMG_0308m.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0320m.jpg
    IMG_0320m.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0300m.jpg
    IMG_0300m.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0309m.jpg
    IMG_0309m.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0318m.jpg
    IMG_0318m.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0310m.jpg
    IMG_0310m.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 121
What a great day at Beltring, although I think I must have followed behind SG500!!....there wasnt that much to buy, but was happy with my haul.

It was a pleasure to meet all the usual suspects, SG, Q, Waffy, Tig, Mick, Charlie, plus also Chris42RQ... what a nice guy, listening to my rambling over a beer !!

Anyway, heres my haul, from left to right

37mm Japanese Type 94 Anti-Tank round (...my second)
3,7cm German Hartkern UB with KWK Markings fantastic case!!! (need to find correct nomenclature)
45mm Russian UBR-240P APCR round
5cm German Kw.K 38 with Pzgr 39 Round (L/42 Gun) in Excellent Case. (I now have 3 spare 5cm APC projectiles anyone!)
8,8cm German Pzgr39 in nice early Brass Case.

Beltring Purchases.jpg

Cheers all, Rich

Last edited:
Nice to meet you too.

Richard B if they had been "ramblings" I would have told you !

It really was a pleasure meeting a true gentleman with a passion for his collection and I am sure we will talk again inthe future so until then I hope your collection will expand nicely.

Got this yesterday on a pretty decent No 5.
An aluminium base plug made by C A Vandervell dated 8/15, quite an early example.

Andy

Attachments

• CAV plug.jpg
    CAV plug.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 32
Goodies from Beltring

Here are some pictures of my "loot" from yesterday, these are;-
One very nice and almost complete B-429 Russian Fuze (lot more research needed) but I think it is for a 100mm HE round ?
One very nice condition 23mm NR BZA Aircraft Practice round (classed as drill)
Three very nice old RARDEN cases with no headstamps and one with an extremely interesting primer! (sorry Charlie !)
One very nice 14.5 mm Ball Tracer-I have checked and the core is "soft" which means no licence required, projectile is A1 condition whilst case if N.B.G.
Two very nice and old (early 50's) brass 23mm VYA cases.
And finally four nice 50 cal brasses chosen because the brass cases are still soft and the necks are not too mangled by the person pulling them, headstamps are TW 43, LC 43 AND DM 43 -these are purchased on behalf of a friend.
I will also add that all of these items are completely empty and INERT !

Now lets see yours!

Attachments

• B429 Fuze.JPG
    B429 Fuze.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 23mm NR BZA round.jpg
    23mm NR BZA round.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 30mm RDN old.jpg
    30mm RDN old.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 14.5 mm Ball-T.JPG
    14.5 mm Ball-T.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 23mm VYA cases.jpg
    23mm VYA cases.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DM43 LC43 TW43.jpg
    DM43 LC43 TW43.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Great to see you all again and what a lovely day it was. Managed to get a few bits which i'll post when i get a sec. Well done Chris on the Rarden cases, right under my bloody nose lol. Hope everyone there has a great rest of the week and if your not going, GO.

Charlie

Well! i was there yesterday and hardly saw any of you! where was everyone hiding?:tinysmile_angry_t: i did see 25thApril and Depotman and Ben on his magnificent pitch and that was it.
I think my BOCN shirt must have had invisibility properties!!
Anyway i had a great day and did manage to find a few new grenades.
A nice Blenkorper glass smoke gren, an UB 39 practice egg, a couple of L series smokes and various fuzes and spare parts. All in all it was a great day out only spoiled by the 6 mile snail crawl at the dartford tunnel.
i'll post some pics later.
cheers, paul.

Sorry I couldn't be there. Domestic duties after a course away, unfortunately. Gotta get ready tomorrow for a return to the grind on Saturday. Maybe next year.

Entrance fee is far too high, the prices charged by dealers was also way too high and the price of food wow sausage and chips 5 way too high , next year will be giving it a miss

That's a shame

Entrance fee is far too high, the prices charged by dealers was also way too high and the price of food wow sausage and chips 5 way too high , next year will be giving it a miss

It does cost a lot to get in but no more than any other show (Farnborough airshow is 30 a ticket etc) but i think it's good value at 18 (16 in advance). For your 18 you get access to hundreds of stalls, all the static displays and the stuff in the arena.

I found all the bits i'm interested in (Old First war shells) very affordable (could have done with more money there was so much i wanted to buy). and as for food, i always take my own anyway :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Im sorry to hear you didn'f feel same as me, I'll definitely be going back next year.

I have to agree with the entrance fee, too high, I think 12 or 14 quid would be ample to pay considering most people spend a fortune once they are in. I can see why airshows cost what they do as anything that flies is 3 times the costs of anything on the ground. As a visitor it seems a bit crazy paying that kind of money just so you can get in to spend more money on the dealers stands. Can a ticket be used again the next day? if so then the money would be about right.

With that said, I would rather pay the entrance fee than not go as I personally really enjoy it.

One thing I have never done is spend an overnight there, does anyone know what the ins and outs are to camping overnight. Do you have to dress up or can you go wearing normal clothes? I think it would a good evening with a few beers and even the Mrs is up for it!

Oh well!,,, here come my fivers worth,,, How much planning and work goes into planning one of the biggest shows in the world ? these guys are planning nearly 2 years in front to make this event happen, and for who ? ,,,,us the public to go to and enjoy it.

How much is there public liabilty premium costing ??? the staff,,,the electric and so on, all these have to be taken into account in the costings.

The food stalls cost a fortune to set up pitch there how about 2K a day. This is what is costs the catering guys to pitch there ( last years price, i was talking to the owner who sites a few vans there ) so you can understand the prices,, the only thing that pisses me of is the price for a bottle of water... was 1 Mon tues then Weds was 2
well i'll let you guess what i said to the fella serving me,,

you can always take a packed lunch and sit down on the grass and relax,, or pay the toll for hot food. I personally think is is a great day out and enjoyable even if you don't find anything to buy,, come on lets face it we only go there to feed our greed for our passion of collecting ,or to make money out it.

there you go make what you will out of that.. i'm of to Beltring for a BBQ and a boozey night out with the boys ..

Regards Nick,

I agree with you 100% Nick, well worth the dosh.
However, had a bit of luck this year, got in for nowt.

Andy

Hi Nick
It used to be very good , but now greed has set in, imm too old and wise to pay their prices, im sticking to my contacts for items, like the collection of fuzes i just bought, recently from a private collector
It was nice to see Ben and do a trade with him , also to see jack ,always an interesting person to chat to.sorry if i missed anyone out .

Last edited by a moderator:
Just arrived back and I'm knackered!

After a slow start I managed to find quite a few nice fuzes to add to the collection.

Enjoyed it as usual and will definately be attending next year,the saving starts now!

Cheers,
Andy

Nice finds then !

Andy you did well to find some fuzes to buy as I thought there was a shortage of them this year?

Glad that you got some anyway-are you going to put up some pictures?

What a great day at Beltring, although I think I must have followed behind SG500!!....there wasnt that much to buy, but was happy with my haul.

3,7cm German Hartkern UB with KWK Markings fantastic case!!! (need to find correct nomenclature)

5cm German Pak38 Round in Excellent Case.

8,8cm German Pzgr39 in nice early Brass Case.

Cheers all, Rich

It looks like you bagged a few good ones Rich.

From the picture the 5cm looks short.....more like a 5cm KwK40.

I would love to see more pictures of the 3.7cm shell if possible. For example, the headstamp and the base of the HK projectile.

Many thanks
PC