What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Museum Ordnance Photos

Hello US-Subs,

Do you have other pictures of the Navy 6in ? (markings on driving band ?)

Thank you.

ICE-se-98-2.JPG

Hi Jeff,

Finally a couple of photos of the complete Clark Naval Bomb fuse (Id 89303-89306) - Yippee!

I have the patent drawings and the odd photos of the bombs, but never could find a photo of the complete fuse assembly until now.

From my understanding the Clark Naval bomb had a very short production run back in ~1915/16 due to being unreliable - is this correct?

Thank you

Cheers

Drew

(http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/73980-Torpedo-Fuse)

BTW - Yes it is the same "Louis Clark" of the Autocar Company (now owned by Volvo) that invented the first porcelain-insulated spark plugs, the patent later being sold to Champion.

Attachments

• ClarkNaval-1_0001.jpg
    ClarkNaval-1_0001.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 43
  • ClarkNaval-2_0001.jpg
    ClarkNaval-2_0001.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hello US-Subs,

Do you have other pictures of the Navy 6in ? (markings on driving band ?)

Nothing very useful I'm afraid. Digging through the folder gives only these. By the looks of the copper base plate this round may have pre-dated the practice of stamping on the rotating band - ?

ICE-se-98-4.JPGICE-se-98-5.JPGICE-se-98-17.JPGICE-se-98-18.JPGICE-se-98-19.jpg

From my understanding the Clark Naval bomb had a very short production run back in ~1915/16 due to being unreliable - is this correct?

Drew,
I wish I could say, but you have more information than I have seen on this item. The museum no longer exists, but they had also lost the identity, so your research may be the last link. Here are the remaining pictures in case they help.

ICE-sd-177-4.JPGICE-sd-177-8.JPGICE-sd-177-11.JPG

Drew,
I wish I could say, but you have more information than I have seen on this item. The museum no longer exists, but they had also lost the identity, so your research may be the last link. Here are the remaining pictures in case they help.

Hi Jeff,
Which museum was that?
Yes thank you for the extra pics - they may also be the last ones :-(
CHeers
Drew

BTW - I'll post the complete patent description as it was quite an interesting complex design for a WW1 aerial bomb.

Last edited:
BTW - I'll post the complete patent description as it was quite an interesting complex design for a WW1 aerial bomb.

As promised here is the complete patent - very interesting reading and it must be one of the first aerial anti-submarine bombs to be invented.......Clarke further states in the patent that the efficiency of a dropped bomb is not as great when it explodes in the air (yeah well try and convince the ground troops when a shrapnel shell explodes over their heads!) or upon hitting a ship's deck, as when it explodes against the side or underwater. He was obviously focusing on causing a rupture /hole beneath the ship's waterline...............

Enjoy!

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• ClarkNaval-Patent_0001.jpg
    ClarkNaval-Patent_0001.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 20
  • ClarkNaval-Patent_0002.jpg
    ClarkNaval-Patent_0002.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 14
  • ClarkNaval-Patent_0003.jpg
    ClarkNaval-Patent_0003.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ClarkNaval-Patent_0004.jpg
    ClarkNaval-Patent_0004.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 17
  • ClarkNaval-Patent_0005.jpg
    ClarkNaval-Patent_0005.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 10
  • ClarkNaval-Patent_0006.jpg
    ClarkNaval-Patent_0006.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 11
  • ClarkNaval-Patent_0007.jpg
    ClarkNaval-Patent_0007.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 9
  • ClarkNaval-Patent_0008.jpg
    ClarkNaval-Patent_0008.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 10
  • ClarkNaval-Patent_0009.jpg
    ClarkNaval-Patent_0009.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 10
  • ClarkNaval-Patent_0010.jpg
    ClarkNaval-Patent_0010.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 10
  • ClarkNaval-Patent_0011.jpg
    ClarkNaval-Patent_0011.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 9
Hi Jeff,
Which museum was that?

Picatinny Museum closed and was absorbed by Aberdeen Ordnance Museum. Aberdeen closed and was moved to its new location at Ft. Lee, VA. Funds for the new museum were needed to help fight for freedom and democracy overseas and were diverted. The collection is currently in storage, insiders doubt that it will see the light of day in our lifetime. Currently a few misc items are rotated for viewing in a corner of the Quartermaster Museum. Sad state of affairs.
http://www.goordnance.army.mil/OTHC/recentHistory.html

What does the M.P. stand for on the 105H projo? What would M Phosphorus be?

Last edited:
What does the M.P. stand for on the 105H projo? What would M Phosphorus be?

I don't know what MP is, never heard of it before. Doesn't have to be phosphorus, though the construction looks consistent -

EOD, likewise on the two fuzes. I've never seen them before. The second one I thought at first looked barometric, now I am leaning more toward a similarity with the M100 series fuze that used time fuse as a delay. Don't know.

Could the M.P stand for Multi-Purpose? I have the T107 as an Illum, WP, and propaganda round. This might have been the museums way of stating that it could be any of those.

Joe

Sounds logical. Could have even been a project designation. Be nice to find paper on it.

The body color makes sense as all three of those rounds were normally painted gray, but the yellow stripe for HE burster would only apply to the WP loading.

I don't know what MP is, never heard of it before. Doesn't have to be phosphorus, though the construction looks consistent -

EOD, likewise on the two fuzes. I've never seen them before. The second one I thought at first looked barometric, now I am leaning more toward a similarity with the M100 series fuze that used time fuse as a delay. Don't know.

Regarding the "barometric" it appears you got misslead by the what appears to be the wound up connecting wire which is likely related to the S&A function (or setting?). Still interested in designations if anybody happens to know.

Regarding the "barometric" it appears you got misslead by the what appears to be the wound up connecting wire which is likely related to the S&A function (or setting?). Still interested in designations if anybody happens to know.

Frequently there is limited time to sort through photos and pull some out and prepare for a post. I don't always get a chance to look closely at what I am posting. Nearly as often I'm not sure of what I am seeing regardless.