What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Museum Ordnance Photos

Post #604Base. Images 3 + 4.

Base fuze No 878 Mk. I Introduced in 1944. For 5 inch Rocket 30lb HE shell and 3 inch aircraft rocket 60lb HE/SAP shell (I have conflicting records for what the fuze was used with. Both sources agree to the 3” RP) This is stamped with a ‘N’ to indicate it is a Naval store.

Alas, I the only diagram I have is subject to copyright. The operation is similar to a No. 12 Base Fuze. There is a thermal initiator below the fuze which is ignited by the rocket motor. Behind the perforated disc is a copper disc attached to a rod. When the thermal initiator ignites, the gas pressure distorts the copper disc which in turn pushes forward the rod which releases the striker and a safety shutter thus arming the fuze.

Manufactured by Roneo Ltd.
Filled by ROF Bridgend.

TimG

Post #604Base. Images 3 + 4.

Base fuze No 878 Mk. I Introduced in 1944. For 5 inch Rocket 30lb HE shell and 3 inch aircraft rocket 60lb HE/SAP shell (I have conflicting records for what the fuze was used with. Both sources agree to the 3” RP) This is stamped with a ‘N’ to indicate it is a Naval store.

Alas, I the only diagram I have is subject to copyright. The operation is similar to a No. 12 Base Fuze. There is a thermal initiator below the fuze which is ignited by the rocket motor. Behind the perforated disc is a copper disc attached to a rod. When the thermal initiator ignites, the gas pressure distorts the copper disc which in turn pushes forward the rod which releases the striker and a safety shutter thus arming the fuze.

Manufactured by Roneo Ltd.
Filled by ROF Bridgend.

TimG

cutaway and drawings in this thread http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/3795-3-60Lb-S-A-P-rocket-British-WW2?highlight=rocket

Good spotting. These photos are from 4-5 of the largest museum collections in the US, some have similar items and it is hard to keep straight which items have already been shown. I have also caught myself a few times with the same exact photos and know that I have double listed some on more than one occasion. I'll try to keep them straight, but don't be too surprised -

I'll check the files when I get home tonight for additional photos.

We found a number of these rounds at a burial site in Ethiopia 7-8 years ago, while looking for evidence of chemical weapons. X-ray showed the heavier internal construction.

Didn't recall that Joe had shown this one previously. That makes it easy.